DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Veraram V.S. BFI V.S. K&N (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=40807)

Hemi Ram 08-08-2009 10:48 AM

Veraram V.S. BFI V.S. K&N

I'm putting on a cold air kit so lets put it to rest.....Which is best, any and all complaints or suggestions are appreciated. I've done my research online but, wanna hear from those who are using them...

kineticenrage 08-08-2009 02:18 PM

i'm curious to see what people have to say.

RaiderJay6 08-08-2009 07:22 PM

BFI is the best design!

Excoastie 08-09-2009 08:24 AM

For the most part I think it's all a matter of personal opinion. When you're choosing, make sure there is a good heat shield, and that it seals well against all surfaces.

It's my opinion that no matter which manufacturer that you go with, they'll all pretty much do the same thing, and give you about the same amount of performance.

I went with the AEM Brute Force. I'd had personal experience with it in the past, and it was slightly less expensive when purchased than any of the others that I was considering.

As for your original question. I myself would stay away from the K&N as the one I had, didn't have a very good heat shield. This allowed the warm engine bay air to mix with the cooler outside air, causing some pinging issues...

Exco

05ram 08-09-2009 09:02 PM

had the vararam but took it off after 4 mos. poor fit and finish, flimsy plastic for 350+ dollars, researched everything for months and thought i was getting 1 of the best by listening to everyone. just intsalled my new cai, the TrueFlow XDI, awesome sound and performance, perfect fit and finish, built like a tank. go with your first impulse, i wasted 5 months and ended up with the 1 i started at.

johnnyk416 08-09-2009 09:49 PM

I agree with Jay, BFI hands down is gotta be the best out there

hemiram04 08-10-2009 04:57 AM

cai

I put K&N 57 series all plactic unit on with heatshield. H A T E it lost performance bogs down with mild acceleration . If want to say pass or merge onto to the road its pedel to the metal to get it to go . I did the battery disconn didnt seem to help now i got a jet performance stage 1 to use with it.
Alittle better i got my passing gear back and when you STOMP it she goes like never before. Now Im running stock exhaust maybe thats the issue , but til I convince the wife for duals it will have to do.

Blackzilla 08-10-2009 05:30 AM

BFI......:smileup:

raceram9 08-10-2009 08:36 AM

this was a review on both the vararam an the ramhammer(now BFI) the guy who did the test ran both same track same day and compred #s this is what was writen. The Vararam and the Ramhammer posted equal times at 60' and 330'. By the 660' mark, the Vararam started to walk the Ramhammer, which is expected with a ram-air system (builds positive intake pressure at higher road speeds).

The average advantage of the Vararam over the Ramhammer in the 1/4-mile was about 0.15 sec and 1.5 MPH (about two truck lengths). He was running a QC 4x4 which weighs about 5800 pounds with driver, so that advantage in ET equates to adding about 12-13 HP over the Ramhammer.

Vararam guarantees a minumum of 3 tenths/3 MPH over the stock intake, and most owners at DT forum report about 4 tenths improvement.

Build materials on the Vararam are decent, but the fit/finish needs improvement (the pop rivets are pretty pathetic). Installation requires tweaking and minor mods for a perfect fit. Killer design and performance, though - makes it easier to forgive the cheesy fit/finish.

chefred112 08-10-2009 11:35 AM

...the rest of that thread..the guy who did the test at the end preferred the Bfi over the vararam (thought it was for streetability...more throttle response)... you can't go wrong with either the varam or bfi for performance. between the 2, they are on the 4 quickest 1/4 mile qc's (na stockblock) that I know of..