DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   3.7L Slant 6 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   1988 Dodge Ram Truck needs help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=41065)

kentucky 08-18-2009 09:33 PM

1988 Dodge Ram Truck needs help

We're trying to get an ol truck back on the road and need a little help.
I just cleaned up the sticky ,caked up starter/ I dont think it's going to solve the problem. There's a braided copper ground link running from the firewall to the block. When trying to start it ......the wire starts getting HOT. (starter was quite sticky til I took it apart and cleaned / greased it.. bearings good.)
So I've checked all the relays and disconected the instument harness... still hot.? I'll put the the starter back on tomorrow sometime and look for pinched wires back in the bed etc.. It's a little grown up:) Been sitting there for a year. I thought mopar used to use a big ceramic resistor (early fusible link) where I'm seeing this braided cable.. ?? Any thoughts on this one? The truck ran good til the fuel system (filter they thought) started acting up... Back later. Thanks from Rowan Co.

pwrwgnman 08-18-2009 09:38 PM

Do ya have 2 ground wires coming from the battery? ya need a big one to the block and one to the frame, sounds like the engine is trying to ground thru the small chassis ground.

pwrwgnman 08-18-2009 09:40 PM

they did away with them risistor things in maybe the early to mid 80`s I think...thats just a guess now lol, check them grounds tho....

chithead 08-18-2009 09:56 PM

Excellent recommendations right there ^^^

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-18-2009 10:26 PM

Make sure your ground cables are good ,clean , and tight especially the one on the motor . Sounds like the starter is trying to pull its ground through the little cable .

kentucky 08-19-2009 01:05 PM

Excellent advice

Worst case senario is bigger cable melt down.:) Or some good ol troubleshooting smoke elsewhere.
Seriously, it makes perfect sense especially after being idle right next to the creek for a year. An oxidized, loose or broken ground IS what we be looking for.:) okies thanx.
More will be revealed.

pwrwgnman 08-19-2009 01:27 PM

ahh yes but soon my friend it will be runnin the streets terrorizing lesser vehicles muwahahahaha and it will all have been worth it

chithead 08-19-2009 03:42 PM

If it's the bare braided strap then I do highly recommend replacing it with a thicker gauge wire.

kentucky 08-22-2009 09:39 AM

Progress

First of all thanks for such great advice...Now we're back to what I suspect is the original problem. The '88 Power Ram /250 Wont start.:) 18 months later..
I put the starter back in and the old boy had changed the Positive post connector and he says go ahead that will be it. I had a 24'' 4 gauge ground lead in my vehical.:). I says the braids gonna Fry!! Sure enough the braided jumper went up in a puff of smoke. POOF.
He says Ummm ,,I thought sure it'd start. LOL . I did'nt have the heart for an 'I told ya so'. HE's 74.:) I got the new jumper from the car and put it in. The motor cranked like brand new. (Thanks Forum). BUT carbs not getting any gas. I poured some in the carb and it ran that gas out a couple times.
NO gas to the filter mounted on the I beam. Six bolts got the bed freed up and we propped it up like a dump truck. It looked like the fuel pump had been replaced before.. ( it had an extra hose on it that was terminated.) Still with me.? It came out in 3 pieces.. um ... so the meter says the fuel guage sender is working just fine.. It also reads about 4-5 ohms across the PUMPS black and red leads.. no load.
There's a brief spurt of 12volts on the pump leads (no load) when attemping to start .. and little bit of click,click, chatter on this little solenoid looking device near the throttle linkage.. ( an inline 4wire connector) on it.) the throttle cable also moves about 1/4'' when the key it switched on. I say the solenoids failed..
I put the pump back together. there's no cracks in any of the plastic or hoses on the pump. It all looks ok. So here's my question. Should the fuel pump run at least briefly when the key is switched ON.? I think I should hear it run....

We're spraying tobacco today so I'll check back later.
Thanks all. :) Fun eh

pwrwgnman 08-22-2009 06:39 PM

On my 96 I can hear it run for a second then it cuts off I think it precharges the system when it does that, then when I got to the start position on the key, it starts running again, I checked it with a meter and physically watched it run,
I read somewhere while trouble shooting mine that the monetary spurt of 12 volts then nothing is a condition in some kinda electronic device where it got the wrong signal and shuts the fuel pump down, Imma see if I can find it and post it for ya soon as I get back from takin these kids swimming, Glad to see your makin progress on the ole truck...