DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   1996 Dodge Ram 1500 HELP (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=41129)

SinnerRacing52 08-21-2009 10:47 PM

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 HELP

My dodge has problems... heres what it does... when it starts it just sets and cranks for prolly 30 seconds and it doesnt run very well when it does start it stumbles and idles under the first mark on the tach unless you rev it up. when it idles nromal it surges up and down never going over 1 on the tach and sometimes it will die. when you go down the road and you shift gears it hesitates and taking of from a stop it hesitates.. the most recent thing it has started to do is when going down the road and i have the throttle at about 1/3 going up hill it will lose power and speed will drop rapidly but it doesnt die.. it barely stays running.... thats all i can think of right now it also has 213,xxx miles on it with magnaflow dual exhaust. the check engine light is on and the abs light and the 4wd light

erm 08-22-2009 01:09 AM

Well, I'd suspect a clogged fuel filter or a failing fuel pump in this case.

You might also have a glitched PCM (Powertrain Control Module) which means the computer has lost it's mind and all the sensors are wondering what's wrong, causing fuel and spark delivery problems.

If you have an AutoZone, Schucks or Kragen's auto parts store nearby, they will probably read your PCM with a code reader for free and help you diagnose the specific codes you have going on there.

SinnerRacing52 08-22-2009 02:16 AM

i have scanned the compter as i have a scanner and it says the po505 which is idle air control system there is one or two more but i cant remeber them right off the top of my head so i will scan it tommorrow and let you know

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-22-2009 07:38 AM

Alot of time these personal hand held scanners don't retrieve all the codes . You may need to go and get them retrieved using a professional piece of eqiupment . Friend at work had one and his scanner only showed one code . I hooked up my Snapon scanner and it had three codes in it . So don't be surprised if theres is more than what you see . Once you get the codes , post them and we''ll help with them .

pwrwgnman 08-22-2009 08:30 AM

When ya get those codes is it still common practice to start with the lowest numbered code first, They told us that at a automotive computer class I went to one time,
My 96 1500 goes thru spells like that every once in awhile, sometimes it will shut off and sometimes the idle will flucuaute , even if I drive at say like 5 mph the engine will surge, it hasnt triggered any codes yet so Im not sure exactly what to do with it lol, it has 215,000 mles on it too,
curious to see what ya find out

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-22-2009 09:13 AM

Yeah start with the smallest code first . Alot of time you fix the smaller number first and it takes care of the following codes .