DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   New to the Dodge V10 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=41171)

mike68 08-23-2009 09:34 PM

New to the Dodge V10

Hi guys. New guy here. I already did the intro thing and decided to go ahead and post my question.

I just purchased a 1996 3500 4x4 extended cab with the V10. It has 105K miles on it but it was owned by the government which "should" mean that it was regularly maintained. It also has a utility body on it. The truck is in VG to excellent shape and I hope to get a lot of years out of it. My questions are:

1) Any particular "quarks" or problems I should know about with the V10

2) What is a reasonable life expectancy of the V10 if it gets regular 3K mile maintenance

In closing, I spoke with the local Dodge dealer service dept. (I have dealt with them in the past and they seem to be good people) before I bought this truck and they basically said that with proper maintenance I can expect the engine to last 200K. They also said there was no major problems with the engine as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice and help. It is much appreciated.

98sst 08-27-2009 01:32 AM

I personally don't drive a v10 ram, but heres what I have to say! Flipping through my manual it has a checklist showing the scheduled maintnence you should do and at which mileage. As far as quarks go, none I believe, just that it is a less popular engine (Cooler none the least :D) Just regularly check the fluids, check for noises, etc. I think it should last quite a while, goodluck and enjoy!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-27-2009 03:18 PM

The v-10 is basically an old la mopar v8 with two extra cylinders added on . The history of the old 318 should let you know that it's a decent motor .

Sparky 08-28-2009 05:00 PM

a '96 owned by the government will be well maintained, but also they are probably hard miles(not much highway miles, more start/stop turn off/turn on.) Just keep an eye on things and you should be fine.

mike68 08-28-2009 10:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it! I did do some checking with a buddy of mine who works for the Bureau of Reclamation and he did say that all of their vehicles are maintained every 3,000 miles like clockwork. In addition, he said that once a a vehicle reaches 100k miles, it is sold off (the gov. in their infinite wisdom feel that it would cost more to maintain it if they keep it!). He also said that my truck was probably used around a dam site for maintenance work. I'll try and keep ya' posted.

rschawo 09-12-2009 07:21 PM

i have a 2001 v10 with 218000 mi the only thing i would say is adjust your tranny like it says to because the guy that owned mine before me didnt and my second gear is now messed up. it didnt work when i got it so i did some recearch and there is adjustment for the second gear band on the drivers side behind the shifter linkage mine wouldnt adjust out like it should so now i need to have my tranny rebuilt

mike68 09-12-2009 10:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up rschawo. I appreciate it!

CajunDodge 09-13-2009 12:51 AM

Wow, a govt. Dodge, well at least they have good taste in vehicles, lol, (most of our city fleet trucks are Dodge's :)) but seriously though, with proper maintenance, you should have lots of life left in that one! :)

mike68 09-13-2009 02:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Cajun, I appreciate it!

Yeah, a genuine government Dodge truck. Pretty awesome!

A buddy of mine works for the Bureau of Reclamation and confirmed its the real deal. He also said that they maintain their vehicles every 3k miles like clockwork. Sweet deal for me :-)

Toms Blue Ram 1500 09-13-2009 04:07 PM

So whats your intentions with the beast . A little zip, zip added to it or you gonna leave it all stock .