DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dead Mouse somewhere in my dash!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=41466)

Big_Red 09-05-2009 11:14 AM

Dead Mouse somewhere in my dash!!!

Sorry, this is a wierd post but I wasn't sure what catagory it would go in. If not in this section maybe the admin can put it where it belongs?

Anywho, I have a dead mouse and it stinks to high heaven in my poor truck. I haven't been able to drive it for a week. Between shifts at work I've been s-l-o-w-l-y taking apart my dash (that's where the funk is emanating from). The stench seems to be coming from the left passenger side of the dash (where the AC is). I removed the AC blower fan and rooted around there. And I have gotten my lower dash removed but I can't seem to figure out how to pull the airbag out. Have any of you done work behind your dash and pulled out the airbag? I can't figure it out and I don't want to screw it up. (Yes I already disconnected the batt so the bag won't go off) Any help here would be great! Thanks a lot!

BlueJet 09-05-2009 11:47 AM

Oh yuck!!! I had a problem last winter with a mouse getting in my blower motor, stripping insulation and packing it full with the insulation so my heater didn't work. Trapped the little bugger in my engine. How this helps you I don't know but I am hoping by keeping this thread active someone will see it and be able to give you some help!

I don't envy you your job! I hope you get it out of there quick!

Big_Red 09-05-2009 11:55 AM

Yeah I pulled the blower motor housing off first. That's what the mech at my local dealer suggested after he told me it would run about $600 in labor just to disasemble my dash. Unfortunatley I didn't find the little booger. I've looked around in the engine compartment with no luck either.

I googled this prob and it seems to happen more with farm trucks. If I can't find the carcass I'll have to wait for it to decompose fully before the stink is gone. Ugh. :mad: Thanks for the support, Blue. :smiley_thumbs_up:

dodgeman70592 09-05-2009 12:26 PM

As for pulling the airbag there is 4 studs w/ bolts holding it I think (two in front, two in back) Hate to hear about the problem, but seems to me that if he got in there he would have chewed through things and caused alot more trouble. Seem like he would have gotten into the fresha air intake (top of the hood where the wipers are) and have dided in there from heat from the engine and your vents are pulling in the smell. Not sure how to fix this problem, but I wish you best of luck with it.

Big_Red 09-05-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgeman70592 (Post 78882)
Seem like he would have gotten into the fresha air intake (top of the hood where the wipers are) and have dided in there from heat from the engine and your vents are pulling in the smell. Not sure how to fix this problem, but I wish you best of luck with it.

I just pulled the plastic louvered cover under the wipers off, but found no dead mickey. Thanks for the suggestion though, I didn't think of that. I think I'm going to try and pull the airbag next... To be continued

dodgeman70592 09-05-2009 01:25 PM

Good luck, hope it didnt do any other damage

Big_Red 09-05-2009 01:51 PM

Got the airbag out, but no luck finding anything behind there either. There is a lot more to disassemble, but I don't want to go too far. Incase I can't get the thing put back together. I've already torn apart more than I thought I'd have to. Thanks guys!

dodgeman70592 09-05-2009 01:56 PM

Well maybe it would be a good idea to take pics while you are taking apart so you know how it goes back together......just an option

Big_Red 09-05-2009 02:02 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I was pulling the airbag...

dodgeman70592 09-05-2009 05:17 PM

Love the signature, lol