DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Best improvement I've seen in 4 years! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=41930)

99RAM 09-21-2009 11:08 AM

Best improvement I've seen in 4 years!

My truck currently has 131k+ miles on her and over the last four years has been doing quite poorly on gas mileage.
When I bought the truck in January of '02 I got a consistant 16mpg. Starting about 4 years ago and up until two weeks ago I've been at about 12-13mpg.
Over the last two weeks I have averaged 17mpg. The big change I have made over that time is moving to 91 octane non-Ethanol gas. A smaller change was a fresh tuneup and complete fluid change.

Granted it is mostly highway miles but the motor is much happier and the old girl is running better than she did when I first bought her. I have almost immediate throttle response again. Sure the gas costs more but the extra mileage and performance I am getting is more than worth the additional cost. I'm hopeful but that with the Magnaflow exhaust and Volant CAI I'll be adding in the coming weeks that I'll get a little more and break 18 mpg. Even though I'm doing those mods more for performance than mpg. With my heavy foot those may actually cause me to lose some mpg.:D

98sst 09-21-2009 10:52 PM

Nice! I am in the 12-13 stage right now... Maybe I'll make the switch!

CdnoilRAM 09-22-2009 07:17 AM

gotta love when performance meets practicality

MikeD 09-22-2009 10:38 AM

I bet the no-ethanol part has more to do with it than the higher octane. I'd be interested in hearing the results if you were to experiment with non-ethanol regular grade.

Wish we had the non-ethanol choice here!

99RAM 09-22-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 83328)
I bet the no-ethanol part has more to do with it than the higher octane. I'd be interested in hearing the results if you were to experiment with non-ethanol regular grade.

Wish we had the non-ethanol choice here!

I'm sure it does have more to do with the non-ethanol than the octane. I probably will just run regular octane most of the time from here on out. I just went to the higher octane because I did not think it would hurt. And it was the same price as the regular octane was here three weeks ago at $2.43 a gallon. I'm going to fill up on regular non-ethanol gas this Wednesday at $2.19 a gallon.

Man, I love living in Oklahoma the gas is so cheap compared to other places.

dirtsurferus 09-22-2009 03:36 PM

he is right though. ethanol is terrible for combustion compared to the carbon based gasoline. i was getting 17 before my transmission blew out and stopped shifting into overdrive. didn't realize that it made that much of a difference, overdrive that is. I mean i guess cause i drive highway for 60 miles a day...where it didn't shift out of 4th it was constantly at 2500 rpm's instead of 1k. before i took it to the shop for a trans rebuild i was getting 13mpg! that's 4 less!

Back to what i was saying earlier.... lol honestly look at getting an accell coil. another thing is make sure that your plugs are the right kind (not platnum make sure that the plugs are copper and gapped right) also i'd go with a set of ..i think it's mm ....plug wires and i'd look into getting a new cap and rotor. but the creme de le creme of gas mileage and power is the superchips flashpaq.

that is in my opinion though, talking about those mods.

dirtsurferus 09-22-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99RAM (Post 83384)
I'm sure it does have more to do with the non-ethanol than the octane. I probably will just run regular octane most of the time from here on out. I just went to the higher octane because I did not think it would hurt. And it was the same price as the regular octane was here three weeks ago at $2.43 a gallon. I'm going to fill up on regular non-ethanol gas this Wednesday at $2.19 a gallon.

Man, I love living in Oklahoma the gas is so cheap compared to other places.

gas is 2.29 here for mid grade too. but i think that it might go up soon :smiledown:

bigrammer 09-22-2009 06:36 PM

Here in Ohio there has been issues with unregulated unleaded fuel going to the pumps. This has been causing small engine machinery to cause issues in loosing the power they originally have had. All the local lawn mower and snowblower repair shops in my area have been getting tons of machines in with the same issues in the engines getting gummed up. So they are now telling people to stop using unleaded gas and use the mid grade stuff to resolve issues. So this is also showing issues in my truck as well. My dad just put in a full take of mid grade with no other changes and with no other part replacement and his fuel economy is already doing better. Not only is the mpg better but he had a bit of a rough idle and now it is no longer an issue.:smileup:

98sst 09-22-2009 06:40 PM

Gosh, our gas is a tad over $3 for premium. Though we have the highest minimum wage of like $8.75

dirtsurferus 09-22-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98sst (Post 83451)
Gosh, our gas is a tad over $3 for premium. Though we have the highest minimum wage of like $8.75

o wow that sucks. it is 149 here for 91 octane. i have been using 89 for the past 2 weeks. though our min wage here in va is 7.35. i remember the people waging for it but it's like running away from the car and getting hit by a train. what i mean by that is higher min wage=higher cost of living=higher taxes and cost of everything. wicked truth.

ooops sorry i meant that mid grade is 249 not 149 lol sorry