DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Exhaust leaks (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=41948)

bigjeff64 09-21-2009 06:43 PM

Exhaust leaks

I have an 04 and an 05 4.7 qc and both are experiencing exhaust leaks on the left bank. I live in the gainesville area and noone will touch them to repair. I was going to pirchase the bolts from autozone and the guy at the counter advised me to have a pro do it. Has anyone had any issues with the exhaust manifold bolts breaking? Any help on this would be great and if anyone has done this repair before and has pics that would be even better!!!

thanks for reading

MRRMX 09-21-2009 06:54 PM

I hope you have a torch set to heat the bolts. A co worker just did a 5.7 in one of our plow trucks. It was ugly due to the salt the trucks endure.
He heated and let them cool to air temp. and reheated them and worked at getting them free. Bill said it was not that bad of a job once he was done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeff64 (Post 83103)
I have an 04 and an 05 4.7 qc and both are experiencing exhaust leaks on the left bank. I live in the gainesville area and noone will touch them to repair. I was going to pirchase the bolts from autozone and the guy at the counter advised me to have a pro do it. Has anyone had any issues with the exhaust manifold bolts breaking? Any help on this would be great and if anyone has done this repair before and has pics that would be even better!!!

thanks for reading

Toms Blue Ram 1500 09-21-2009 08:19 PM

Could be done . The aluminum heads scare everyone . If you have to drill the bolt , just make sure you the down the center of the bolt . Ideally if you could use left handed drill bits would be great . As you're drilling it's biting in an trying to spin out the broken bolt .

MRRMX 09-21-2009 08:37 PM

The old Ford straight trucks with the 460 in them....the studs would snap at the head from rot and heat. We use to take a regular 3/8 nut and weld the nut to the stud in the center of the nut hole and wrench them out. Glad they stopped making them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 83121)
Could be done . The aluminum heads scare everyone . If you have to drill the bolt , just make sure you the down the center of the bolt . Ideally if you could use left handed drill bits would be great . As you're drilling it's biting in an trying to spin out the broken bolt .

tmerritt530 09-22-2009 10:05 PM

I had this exhaust leak on my 04 too. Very common issue on this engine. I took mine in to the dealership under a service contract.

bigjeff64 09-23-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmerritt530 (Post 83518)
i had this exhaust leak on my 04 too. Very common issue on this engine. I took mine in to the dealership under a service contract.

unfortunatley both are out of service contracts

fixitfirstime 09-23-2009 11:59 PM

check the manifold bolts first. Sometimes they are just loose. Go ahead and put some antiseize paste on them while you can.

bigjeff64 09-24-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixitfirstime (Post 83798)
check the manifold bolts first. Sometimes they are just loose. Go ahead and put some antiseize paste on them while you can.

i havent check the 05 yet however i have looked on the 04 and the last bolt on the left bank the head is completely gone so i dont know if it broke or if it fell out

AlohaRam 12-20-2012 02:26 AM

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

But I'm curious bigjeff64, how'd it go?

I'm about to tackle the same job on my 2002.
Problem is ALL of the 8 studs (on each manifold) will need to be cut off and replaced, due to corrosion ... :/

GTyankee 12-20-2012 02:36 AM

Go buy yourself a can of
PB BLASTER
it is on the same shelf as the WD-40 & Liquid Wrench

let it soak in & spray it a 2nd time, then take out the bolts or studs
i also have a BernzOmatic torch & Mapp gas, just in case

KROIL is even better, but you have to go to a gun shop to get it & it is costly