DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Owner’s manuals go digital for 2010 Chrysler vehicles (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=41960)

1970 Charger 09-21-2009 11:04 PM

Owner’s manuals go digital for 2010 Chrysler vehicles

Owner’s manuals go digital for 2010 Chrysler vehicles

September 21st, 2009 by Bill Cawthon
Chrysler Group is going to free up some glovebox space for owners of new Chrysler,Jeep and Dodge vehicles. The company will the first to replace the current, printed owner’s manual, which can run as long as 500 pages and weigh four pounds, with a digital version, consisting of a DVD and a printed user guide with only a fraction of the pages.
Not only will the move save space and the equivalent of 20,000 trees, it will also save money as replicating a DVD is far less costly than the cost of paper, printing and bindery.
The DVD will be a comprehensive guide to the vehicle including the owners’ manual, vehicle and tire warranty information, navigation and entertainment system guides, as well as information on 24-hour towing assistance. It will also include video tutorials for commonly used features, such as folding down a Jeep Wrangler soft-top, operating the video entertainment system and setting electronic speed . Owners will be able to search by topic rather than sifting through a 500-page book (or checking the index).
The printed user guide will cover the most commonly required information like finding assistance for emergency situations, changing tires, jump-starting a battery and understanding the various warning lights.
“As vehicles have increased in complexity, so has the size of traditional owners’ manuals,” Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar Service, Parts and Customer Care. “With this new approach, we are making it much more convenient for customers to find the information they seek.”
Owners who still want the traditional printed manual may obtain one by contacting their dealer or calling customer service.

CajunDodge 09-22-2009 05:08 AM

That's not a bad idea, and I can see the point of doing it that way, but I still like having the printed manual in the vehicle for quick reference. I'll be curious to see how well it goes over.

- Cajun :pepper:

CdnoilRAM 09-22-2009 05:11 AM

This could be a good thing, now they just need a DVD player in a vehicles so you can watch it when you need it!

CajunDodge 09-22-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 83259)
This could be a good thing, now they just need a DVD player in a vehicles so you can watch it when you need it!

That's true, but I just don't think today's drivers need any more distractions while behind the wheel.

- Cajun :pepper:

1970 Charger 09-22-2009 10:00 AM

Don't forget that you can download the owners manual right from the Dodge website as a PDF file for the exact copy of the manual. Or talk to the dealer or call customer service for the paper manual.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 09-22-2009 09:13 PM

Good idea . Should also give you the factory shop manual now . Free of charge .

rjs2005 09-23-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 83525)
Good idea . Should also give you the factory shop manual now . Free of charge .

Yeah right. I don't see that happening any time soon, considering what they charge for that manual!

Overall, I like the idea. Most of the information truly needed by the driver on the road (HVAC/entertainment controls, recommended fuel, spare tire/jack locations and jack points, etc) could be contained in a simple foldout and the full manual on DVD. I like the idea of a searchable manual, just like the PDF format available for download.