DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Chromeintakes? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42141)

08Ram1500 09-28-2009 06:36 PM

Chromeintakes?

i was looking through ebay. and i noticed that a member sells K&N CAI really cheap. the price sounds to good to be true. Has anyone ever purchased an intake from ebay? User chromeintakes?

98sst 09-28-2009 06:41 PM

I had one on my s10. Maybe it's different for rams, but the grommet for the IAT was horrible, didn't realize it. the truck died multiple times, but when I replaced the grommet with a real one, it worked fine. The pipe really is metal, could use a heat shield.

jamesb0 09-28-2009 09:09 PM

K&N states on their website that the chrome intake is more for looks then Performance. They have the same one in plastic, the tube is a 3" pipe but there is another one that's will give you increases air flow by way of increases velocity from going from an 4" filter down to a 3" throttle end. The one thing that K&N has over other intakes is Test data They show you how much air is running though systems, I wish some of the others would go though this so we can compare apple to apples.

98sst 09-28-2009 09:16 PM

Agreed, The "Chromeintakes" brand advertised far beyond what is really happening. If anything my horsepower was the same if not lower on my s10. The heat factor was a big issue I'm sure. What I DID like about it was the noise, i'm all about loud, and man there was nothing holding back the sound where as the K&N on my truck now is not noticeable, but then again, my exhaust setup drowns everything out.

chefred112 09-29-2009 08:07 PM

gotta be careful with "Test Data", companies skew their numbers sooo much to make themselves look great... if you're doing a chrome intake (my 2nd intake was a chrome one from ebay)...make sure you get one that does away with the air resonator (hemi hat) and is a minimum 3.5" in dia (I've seen 3" floatin out there and saw one in a hemi and it looked like a straw compared to mine..lol) here is a pic of my old ebay one and then my current one...

98sst 09-29-2009 11:55 PM

Some ebay intakes are legit, just know that most of them do not come with a heat shield and such. Maybe it won't make that big of a difference in the long run, but you never know.

I personally say an intake is an intake. Go for it and order it, the sound is good! Thats all that mattered for me before besides I only had 117hp I was HOPELESS!

popcenator 10-04-2009 01:34 PM

I reread the question and it seems like he's asking more about purchasing on Ebay and that user specifically than the actual intake. I've bought headers off Ebay and I experienced no problems, the one thing to remember is read the feedback given by other Ebayers to see how well they handle their customers.