DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Fuel System (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Improving Gas Mileage (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42193)

JBSPartans05 09-30-2009 09:41 AM

Improving Gas Mileage

Just wondering what is out there and the effectiveness of improving gas mileage on a

2006 SLT Ram 1500 5.7 L Hemi

THanks

chithead 09-30-2009 10:03 AM

Being a 2006 it will have the MDS system and that will improve the mileage quite a bit. After that, making it breath in and out better, and a tuner will increase the MPG's, but make it more tempting to romp down on the go pedal too...

CdnoilRAM 09-30-2009 10:08 AM

A lighter foot on the gas pedal and owning a rice-rocket...

But seriously, a Cold Air Intake, cat-back exhaust, and a tuner will improve you MPG. A fuel catalyst will let you run lower octane without some of the worries in the engine (manufacturer recommends 89 octane anyhow), use the cruise control whenever possible as it uses less fuel to keep speed constant, and since you're an '06 you should have MDS.

Those all help, but serious accelleration of hauling will always kill your MPG. A lot of us have been averaging ~18MPG highway with the first 3 mods there.

RedneckDodge 09-30-2009 03:16 PM

gas

Lookin 4 any advice on how 2 help my 94 dodge ram 1500 5.2 liter get better mileage. I belive that right now it's gettin 9-10 miles to the gallon

Toms Blue Ram 1500 09-30-2009 03:21 PM

Headers , catback , cold air intake , and recommend Diablosort Predator reprogrammer . That should be your most effective upgrades for mpg and performance improvements .

jamesb0 09-30-2009 07:24 PM

:iagree: & You're driving habits will make the biggest difference in your milage.

JBSPartans05 10-12-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 85771)
Headers , catback , cold air intake , and recommend Diablosort Predator reprogrammer . That should be your most effective upgrades for mpg and performance improvements .

I'm really not looking to do headers, but I'm looking at a CAI what ones are suggested???
And the Diablosport tunner whats does this really do?? and how easy is it to manage.

I'm an engineer, but i feel like a rookie when i comes to cars.

Zekery360 10-12-2009 07:51 PM

Diablosport and other tuners like Superchips or SCT change timing, fuel delivery, and other calibrations in your PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to get better power and more MPGs. Many are very user-friendly. Plug it into the DLC (Data Link Connecter) and push a few buttons, and you are off and running. The pay for themselves pretty quickly, and 91 octane tunes are fun if you are into going fast!

JBSPartans05 10-13-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zekery360 (Post 90296)
Diablosport and other tuners like Superchips or SCT change timing, fuel delivery, and other calibrations in your PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to get better power and more MPGs. Many are very user-friendly. Plug it into the DLC (Data Link Connecter) and push a few buttons, and you are off and running. The pay for themselves pretty quickly, and 91 octane tunes are fun if you are into going fast!

So there are different modification depending on what you want to do, either more HP or higher MPG etc???

so let me get this right you plug it in run the upload then can unplug it and it changes your computer chip to run differently and do different things????

will this effect anything else?? such as Compression ratio, would i need 91 octane instead of 89, More wear on the engine etc.???

CHILLZ HEMI 10-13-2009 12:07 PM

being light on the pedal, cruise control helps also when possible like on the highways, upgrades like mentioned above, a CAI and exhaust...and you can run 87 in your truck without getting a fuel catalyst(it is in the manufacturers handbook), and i posted it on that "what kind of gas do you use thread"....your call though...