DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Considering reducing wheels from factory 20" to 17" for better ride (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42256)

BrandonRam 10-01-2009 11:09 PM

Considering reducing wheels from factory 20" to 17" for better ride

I drive a 2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4.

If I reduce my wheel size from 20 to 17, do you think it will make a noticeable improvement with suspension and handling?

I don't like how I feel every little bump in the road. It's such a rough ride.

On my daily commute there is this particular curve on the highway that has a seem stretching the length of the highway. While driving in the curve it always feels like my truck wants to spin around, especially in slick road conditions. Part of that I blame on the over sensitive power steering.

So I am hoping to counteract the poor handling by putting more rubber between me and the road.

Have you tried this and if so, how were you satisfied?

Please tell me your thoughts either way.

Also, on a slightly related topic, does anybody know how wide of a tire I can put under my truck that is sitting stock? It had 275's when I bought it. I am wanting to put at least 295's on it.

RUSSELR 10-05-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandonRam (Post 86305)
I drive a 2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4.

If I reduce my wheel size from 20 to 17, do you think it will make a noticeable improvement with suspension and handling?

I don't like how I feel every little bump in the road. It's such a rough ride.

On my daily commute there is this particular curve on the highway that has a seem stretching the length of the highway. While driving in the curve it always feels like my truck wants to spin around, especially in slick road conditions. Part of that I blame on the over sensitive power steering.

So I am hoping to counteract the poor handling by putting more rubber between me and the road.

Have you tried this and if so, how were you satisfied?

Please tell me your thoughts either way.

Also, on a slightly related topic, does anybody know how wide of a tire I can put under my truck that is sitting stock? It had 275's when I bought it. I am wanting to put at least 295's on it.

If you want to still go through with it i have factory 17s and im looking for factory 20s. would you be interested in trading?

LuNaTiCFrEAk 10-06-2009 02:46 AM

If you back end feels lose on a slick curve try rotating your tires.
Always make sure your best tred is on the rear (this goes for front wheel drive cars too).

chithead 10-06-2009 01:37 PM

I think you might notice a better ride, but I can't see where the handling would improve much...

CdnoilRAM 10-06-2009 07:55 PM

I'd make the swap just so you could put other tires on it. They're cheaper in 17s than 20s for larger tires if you want to go that route.

chithead 10-06-2009 08:07 PM

A true statement ^^^

Husker1111 10-06-2009 09:03 PM

i have 305's on my 08

boostjunkie1 10-06-2009 11:23 PM

I went from the 20" Rims to my 17's with 295/70/17's and the ride is allot better.......You float instead of bounce down the road.....:smileup: