DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   01 with blown gasket, still good deal? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42463)

lobocito 10-07-2009 05:57 PM

01 with blown gasket, still good deal?

I found a 2001 Ram with a blown head gasket. Does anyone have an idea how much the repairs would cost? the price is right if the repair would be the right price too. Any information would be great!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-07-2009 08:00 PM

Be careful . Antifreeze and oil aren't a good mix . Antifreeze is real tough on engine bearings . I just had a customer lose an intake manifold gasket on a 4.3 Chevy . I dropped the remaining coolant out of the system , and changed the oil and filter . I started it up and ran it for a minute to get some fresh oil throughout the motor , and to try and wash as much anti/oil mix into the pan . I went ahead and did the intake gasket reseal . Changed the oil and filter again . Well to late . Motor spun 2 rod bearings . So if it's worth it , you may want to consider putting a used or rebuilt engine in it . Let me know what you decide . Talk to ya soon . Tom

CdnoilRAM 10-07-2009 08:03 PM

As for the cost of repairs, it should be around 1-1.5K after labor, parts, repair. Go to a local shop and have them do up a quote so you have something to show the seller of what the added cost will be, and hopefully they will drop the price to account for it.

warnerwh 10-07-2009 11:42 PM

Are you sure a blown head gasket is all that is wrong? You could have a cracked head too. A new head is expensive. Like the guy above said who knows how much damage the engine has sustained. . I'd personally walk away from this deal. There's plenty of other deals with good engines out there.

chithead 10-08-2009 11:15 AM

I have to agree, you could chance just replacing the head gasket, but rebuilding this one or dropping in another one would be better yet.

GPSHSLAX 10-11-2009 10:39 PM

Story time.

I blew the head gasket on my previous vehichle. Blew a water line and overheated. Replaced the water pump and the blown line along with the thermostat.

I was tired of the repairs and bought the Ram to replace it. I then sold the other car to my neighbor who was interested in fixing it because his Father in Law is a mechanic and could do the labor cheap. As it turned out, after he replaced the head gasket he found out that I cracked the block and the repair wasent worth doing, and the replacement engine would be hard to find. So I gave him the money he paid me back and sold the car for scrap.

Moral of the story, blown head gasket could be a symptom of larger catastropic damage. I would not recomend buying someone elses problems. The person your buying from will probably not be as nice as I am and take it back if you end up biting off more than you can chew.

CajunDodge 10-12-2009 12:26 AM

Wow man, you were nice, ^^^^, but I agree, I wouldn't do it, either as there could be too many other expensive problems besides that, and plenty of other trucks out there with good engines for your money.

- Cajun :pepper:

Zekery360 10-12-2009 08:27 PM

I wouldn't mess around with it personally. It may be a nice truck, but I am sure there will be others out there. A blown head gasket is a huge issue, especially if it has been that way for a while. Save your money and find another truck with a good engine in it.