DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Integrated trailer brake controller? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42521)

CosmicVagabond 10-08-2009 11:51 PM

Integrated trailer brake controller?

Hi folks,
I read on the 09 forum that the 10's will have an optional trailer brake controller. Do you think that this might be able to be retrofit to a 09?

CdnoilRAM 10-09-2009 12:13 AM

It might, but there are also plenty of aftermarket trailer brake controllers that are really good and would probably be easier to install. Unless you want a clean look and not have the controller just hanging below your console of course.

CosmicVagabond 10-15-2009 12:12 AM

I've done some more reading and saw where the factory brake controller will display through the EVIC. This would be a neat touch an aftermarket controller wouldn't do. Anyone else have any ideas if this could be retrofit to an '09? Anybody have any ideas who might know? Not sure if the dealer's service dept would know...

CdnoilRAM 10-15-2009 12:41 AM

I doubt a dealer could help, unless it bolts on stock they don't touch much. Maybe Tom can pitch in or someone with some electrical know-how.

Aussieincalgary 10-18-2009 07:45 PM

Yup, on a lot of issues like this (add on's) the parts guys aren't much help.
I found the dealer wanted a hundred dollars more for the "Factory"!!!! controller than the after market version with the adaptor plug that plugs stright into the connector under the left side of the dash. I just wish I could put the controller somewhere so it doesn't touch my leg at times, but not make me drill holes all over the dash.
If the integrated controller works then that WOULD be cool.

CosmicVagabond 10-19-2009 01:16 PM

Hey Aussie,
Look on the lower part of your dash area where your left knee is. There should be a small cubby hole there. I had the dealer cut out the back of that compartment and slip my aftermarket controller through that. The controller is then recessed into the dash and central to the plug in. If I ever want to restore that cubby it's very cheap just to buy that small part and it will be good as new. If your controller will fit that area it's a good option.

MRRMX 10-19-2009 08:42 PM

I installed my controller....I could not come to drilling holes in the dash. I have a real long lead that plugged into the OEM connection. I tuck the wires up under the dash and when I need the controller I pull them out and hook it up. it lays on the cup holder while
I tow.

iRockCrawler 10-20-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussieincalgary (Post 92520)
Yup, on a lot of issues like this (add on's) the parts guys aren't much help.
I found the dealer wanted a hundred dollars more for the "Factory"!!!! controller than the after market version with the adaptor plug that plugs stright into the connector under the left side of the dash. I just wish I could put the controller somewhere so it doesn't touch my leg at times, but not make me drill holes all over the dash.
If the integrated controller works then that WOULD be cool.

who makes the 'Factory" controller? I was going to get it but forgot to have it added on.. have a p/n by chance?

iRockCrawler 11-04-2009 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is off the 2010 power wagon.. wonder if it will be plug and play for the '09

The '10 also has power lock for the gate which will work on the 09's

iRockCrawler 11-04-2009 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Information on the TBC is also displayed on the EVIC... Not sure if this is available on the 1500's but it is on the 2500 and up..