DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Brakes (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Brake Pad Selection (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42660)

HemiJack 10-13-2009 11:27 AM

Brake Pad Selection

I was wondering about a good brand of brake pads that would work on my truck. Right now I have 78,000 miles on the 05 Ram truck with the original front pads. I have had almost no brake dust occur on the wheels. The Dealership tells me the compound of the pads that came on my truck from the factory was semi-metallic. They offer those same pads in the OE Mopar brand. They also offer a cheaper pad in the Value-Line brand. I am just mainly searching for a good quality pad that would give me another 78,000+ miles with low brake dust. Any of the aftermarket brands perform beyond expectations? Anybody have any extreme luck with the ones they have bought? :4-dontknow:

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-13-2009 05:20 PM

I like the Wagner Thermo Quiets . My SRT8 car was horrible for brake dust . Removed the factory pads and put these on , what a major improvement .

HemiJack 10-13-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 90631)
I like the Wagner Thermo Quiets . My SRT8 car was horrible for brake dust . Removed the factory pads and put these on , what a major improvement .

Were the pads semi-metallic or some other compound material? How many miles have you put on the pads?

CdnoilRAM 10-13-2009 07:38 PM

I use the EBC YellowStuff pads and I've put about 20000 kms on them and they're still in good shape. They break in great (special break-in compound) and have amazing wear resistance even with hard use.

MRRMX 10-13-2009 08:10 PM

I like the ceramic pads for no dust, they cost more but I? feel its worth it.

HemiJack 10-13-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRRMX (Post 90706)
I like the ceramic pads for no dust, they cost more but I? feel its worth it.

Are you using, or have used, any particular brand of ceramic brake pad?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-13-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiJack (Post 90679)
Were the pads semi-metallic or some other compound material? How many miles have you put on the pads?

They were factory Brembo pads . I believe they were metallic . I have 25,000 miles on the Thermo Quiets . Brake dust was horrible . Wash the wheels one day . Next day their black already . Now I can go several weeks before it starts to look bad .

MRRMX 10-14-2009 08:09 PM

I am still on the factory pads ...once there gone its ceramics. I like Bendix $$$$ or Napa
premium ceramic pads. The down side is braking with cold pads is they do not grab as good when they have heat in them. Not a big deal but it is noticable.

CdnoilRAM 10-14-2009 11:37 PM

So maybe if you live in perpetual winter like us, ceramics might not be a great idea, gotcha.

deanthecrabman 10-15-2009 04:30 PM

I've had good experience with Bendix. Not ceramic, a little dusty, but they hold up well. You also get to register for a coupon for a free set when the first wear out.