DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   No Spark! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42729)

Lumpo 10-15-2009 03:17 PM

No Spark!

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 5.9 and i cant figure out why i have no spark. I also cant read the PCM with my scanner for some reason. I have tried a new Crank sensor still no power at coil. How can i check to see if im getting power to the crank sensor? What do you guys think could be my problem? Am i able to pull codes without a scanner? Thanks

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-15-2009 03:20 PM

First thing when you get into an electrical problem is check all the fuses . Don't pull them and look at them . Use a test light or volt meter and verify you have power through the fuse . Check that and let us know .

Lumpo 10-15-2009 03:27 PM

Already checked all fuses sorry i forgot to mention that.

MRRMX 10-15-2009 04:16 PM

Hmmm...power to PCM what about grounds......

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-15-2009 04:21 PM

I know that the crank sensors are sensitive .You were careful when you installed it ? When you turn your key to the on position , does your cel on your dash light up ? What type of scan tool are you trying to use ?

Lumpo 10-15-2009 04:57 PM

Yes i believe the crank sensor is installed correctly and i was very careful when intalling it. I also believe that all grounds to the PCM are good. The grounds are good because it started just fine with the old motor it just needed to be replaced. My check engine light does light up with key in on position. Im using a Mentor Scanner.

CHILLZ HEMI 10-15-2009 06:18 PM

Ok, im gonna assume you checked the plugs and wires to ensure correct intallation, meaning that the plugs are not forced in, and that they have the proper gap, and that its not just one plug, but all plugs not sparking. If all the plugs are not sparking then the problem could be a bad coil, ignition module, distributor cap, and more that I cant think of right now. But, check the distributor cap inside for signs of cracks or signs of carbon build up...

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-15-2009 07:23 PM

Aw you didn't tell me you just had a motor put in it . There are two plugs in the wire harnesss at the back of the motor by the distributor . Make sure their plugged in . I put a motor in a ram several years ago and they were definitely very tough to get at .

Lumpo 10-15-2009 07:56 PM

The 3 plugs that i remember plugging are the Crank, Oil sending unit and the Pickup. Are these the plugs your talking about? Im confident the spark plugs are done correctly but i will check the ignition module tomorrow.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-15-2009 08:03 PM

Has it even started since the motor was done ?