DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Won't upshift from first when cold (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42765)

ramtastic 10-16-2009 02:51 PM

Won't upshift from first when cold

Winter is coming and I don't want to revisit the problems I had last winter.

My 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L automatic wouldn't shift out of first gear on very cold days (below 20 F) until the tranny had the chance to warm up. A couple times I had to drive about a mile in first gear before she would upshift. After that it was fine.

As the days started getting colder I started having rough idle so, on the advice I read on the forums, I changed the TPS yesterday. Idle was smooth with no surging this morning. Hooray!

I am hopeful that this might fix the upshift problem but I doubt it. My thought is that if the truck thinks it's at WOT, it wants to stay in 1st at slow speed. Changing the TPS may have solved that. Unfortunately it seems that the problem was there regardless of engine temperature. Letting it warm up in Park did not alleviate the shifting problem.

Is there another possibly temperature sensitive sensor that I can easily change or do I have to wait till it starts acting up again and take it to a transmission shop?

CHILLZ HEMI 10-16-2009 06:39 PM

How is the level of the tranny fluid, and when is the last time you had the tranny serviced??? And is it the original tranny??? It sounds like something more could be wrong...Possibilities include low fluid, clogged filter, old fluid and filter(not necessarily clogged, but overused for both) gears slipping(which means its time for a rebuild)

ramtastic 10-16-2009 07:10 PM

I hope it's a fluid thing. I had the fluid changed in the Spring. It was in bad condition at the time. I think I'll have the full transmission service done soon. It is the original tranny as far as I can tell.

I don't think the gears are slipping. Darn thing won't stay in high enough gear long enough for that. This tranny is very quick to downshift and rev the engine very high.

I haven't had this problem since last winter but the mercury is dropping and I don't want to put up with this problem again this year.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-16-2009 08:06 PM

Could be input/output speed sensors giving the computer some false information . It would be a swing in the dark if you want to try it . You should be able to pick up the sensors for about $40.00 a piece . Their not real hard to replace . Let us know . Tom

ramtastic 10-16-2009 09:45 PM

A good idea. Searching online for parts, I only see a single "speed sensor" (not input or output specifically). Does it use the same part# for both the input and output sensors?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-16-2009 10:36 PM

No they are different .

erm 10-16-2009 10:52 PM

Try the easiest thing first...get a full fluid drain, flush and filter replacement on the transmission.

raider9701 10-17-2009 11:18 PM

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram and my does the exact same thing! I also have the added joy of the bottom of my doors rotting out too! When I changed the fluid and filter as well as additive, it seemed to help. Make sure you are using ATF + 4 fluid, they run about $5each though.

ramtastic 10-18-2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raider9701 (Post 92221)
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram and my does the exact same thing! I also have the added joy of the bottom of my doors rotting out too! When I changed the fluid and filter as well as additive, it seemed to help. Make sure you are using ATF + 4 fluid, they run about $5each though.

My doors are in the early stages, too. I should probably do something about that before salt season starts again. :sad:

ramtastic 10-18-2009 12:23 PM

I just changed the speed sensor (output). It's the only one I could find and only cost $17 and 10 minutes under the truck.

I'd rather do it now than when it's -5 outside and I'm crawling under the truck on ice and snow. Other web searches have led me to others who have been successful with this.

I will post my results later in the year when it is cold enough to make a determination.