DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Driveshaft weight fell off (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42889)

Kens04 10-20-2009 10:50 AM

Driveshaft weight fell off

Been having a slight vibration at 50-60 mph lately but before that had a pretty bad shake at take off when turning. Had a mechanic check it out last night and he said one of the wieghts fell off of the drive shaft and that would put it out of balance. He checked my diff. gears and changed the fluid and said all that looked fine but to not let it go too long. Can I have my driveshaft re-balanced and just put new u-joints and hanger bearing on it? I started another thread about my pinion angle being off (TSB 03-003-04) and that causing the low speed shake. Mechanic said he wasnt sure about that but a wieght had deff. fallen off. Will replacing the drive shaft and hanger bearing correct the pinion angle as well or could I end up spending $$ and only fixing one issue? I know its never a guarantee just wanted some opinions. Thanks

Kens04 10-20-2009 04:35 PM

Nobody?? Well I found a place to balance the driveshaft for $60, thats a lot better than 275 for a new driveshaft. Now the question is do I replace u-joints and hanger bearing first? I didnt ask but I guess they do the balancing with those parts attached, especially the hanger bearing as Ive read it can be a bit tuff to remove and replace. Anybody??

MRRMX 10-20-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kens04 (Post 93337)
Nobody?? Well I found a place to balance the driveshaft for $60, thats a lot better than 275 for a new driveshaft. Now the question is do I replace u-joints and hanger bearing first? I didnt ask but I guess they do the balancing with those parts attached, especially the hanger bearing as Ive read it can be a bit tuff to remove and replace. Anybody??

You got a fair deal...thats the way I would of went....:smileup:

Kens04 10-21-2009 10:57 AM

Also, I have an 04 quad cab, it looks as though it has a 1 piece drive shaft? Can anyone confirm this? I would have thought it would have a 2 piece but it sure does look like one to me. In which case it doesnt have a carrier or hanger bearing correct??

Kens04 10-21-2009 02:57 PM

Guess ill start a new thread.

MRRMX 10-21-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kens04 (Post 93634)
Also, I have an 04 quad cab, it looks as though it has a 1 piece drive shaft? Can anyone confirm this? I would have thought it would have a 2 piece but it sure does look like one to me. In which case it doesnt have a carrier or hanger bearing correct??

two u-joints may have a slip joint ..but dought it ... solid shaft in my 07 1500quad. If it has a carrier bearing it will have 3 u-joints.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-21-2009 10:01 PM

Driveshafts can be rebalanced at a local shop . If it's a two piece shaft , watch and make sure you have it timed correctly .

Kens04 10-22-2009 09:32 AM

Its a 1 piece shaft. 60 to balance, 140 to remove and balance. They charge more to remove and reinstall than to balance it, seems crazy. Appears to be pretty simple to remove, I think I just need to mark it to make sure it goes back in the same as it came out. The shaft is real rusted, I dont see how they are going to get another wieght to stick?

erm 10-22-2009 09:36 AM

They just grind off a spot to remove the rust and stick the weight on.

No intermediate bearing for you to worry about. Why replace the U-joints? If you didn't run this thing 10,000 miles with the problem, I wouldn't worry about them at all.

Kens04 10-22-2009 09:48 AM

I have ran it maybe 1000 miles with the problem possibly a bit more. My buddy who's a mechanic at the local Dodge dealer checked it all out and discovered the wieght missing. He changed out the front and rear diff fluid and said the u-joints do look fine, so yes your right MAddog doesnt seem like its needed. Ill spend my newfound u-joint cash on some floor mats, air filter recharge kit. Thanks again!!