DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Need help asap emergency (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42974)

2009Cummins 10-22-2009 05:15 PM

Need help asap emergency

hey i took my silencer ring off the turbo and it chipped the turbine wheel and i just want to make sure its not gonna desintugrate on me it was just a corner on the outside of one of the "fins" mabye 1-1.5cm long...still boosts fine i just need reasurance itll be fine....

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-22-2009 08:42 PM

Cross your fingers . Thats all I can say . They do spin up some rpm . Hopefully it isn't out of balance . If a problem develops , put the ring back on and take it in for warranty work . " I don't know whats wrong with it "

boostjunkie1 10-22-2009 11:08 PM

Oh NO.... You are looking at a new turbo in about 6 to 12 Months .... :( ..... Just think about that front wheel that is a little bent and is running at 400 Revolutions Per Mile. ...... It makes the front end and steering wheel wobble a little right????? Now that that 400 and make it 400,000 per mile! Wont last that long! I have talked with a couple people that have done this and we now call them MAY POPS.... May POP today.....May POP tomorrow..... BUT SHE WILL POP :( GOOD LUCK!

** Installing the ring and taking her back to the dealers will probably not work. You have a marking on the silencer ring that will have to be back in the correct position or they are going to know that you moved it....... Still worth a try!

What are you going to tell them??????

boostjunkie1 10-22-2009 11:09 PM

Get a new Compressor Wheel and have it installed before the explosion ends up in your engine!!

CdnoilRAM 10-22-2009 11:44 PM

You'll have a bad time when that spool piece goes. In university (aerospace structural engineering) we did destructive testing on supercharger rotors and a small imperfection ANYWHERE in the blade will cause it to fail 90% of the time, and they don't just go quietly into the night. You'll end up with shrapnel thourgh your engine and be looking into a WHOLE bunch of work to fix that.

Try reinstalling the silencer ring and see if the dealership will warranty it, if yes, celebrate, if no, but a new blade, and then celebrate for the sake of.

2009Cummins 10-23-2009 01:06 PM

OK so i went to the dealer they inspected it and gave it the OK its not vibrating its spooling and boosting just fine... and if it goes they are going to cover it... i just told them it must have been messed with before i bought it...

2nd Ram 10-28-2009 09:24 PM

I kinda think I'd get the dealer to replace the turbo now if he will, before the thing blows and you're left stranded or without a ride. Remind the dealer that all it needs now is the turbo. If they wait till it flies apart, they may be replacing/repairing much more!

strang3majik 10-29-2009 03:59 PM

it shouldn't explode into a million pieces. People do that on my starquestclub website all the time (starion/conquest).
What will probably happen, is, if its out of balance, it causes the shaft to wobble a little, and what will eventually happen, is, it will blow the internal oil seal out, causing a lot of smoke, and, you should shut it off pretty quick before all the oil is forced out through the seal. (if your engine oil is also the turbo's oil, anyway)
But...you would have to actually suck something into the turbo for it to explode.