DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (
-   -   Intake choice (

19Accord97 10-23-2009 06:27 PM

Intake choice
Hey Guys,
I am new to this forum, but not modifications or other forums. As you can tell I drive a Honda Accord which is modified, been doing it for about 4 years. I am a Honda and Mopar the extreme!

Anyways, my dad JUST traded in his 92 Spirit v6 w/ 190k miles on it. Still spun the tires, but the rocker panel rust, suspension, fuel pump were on its way out and it started burning oil. Other than that, it had never had any other problems.

He picked up a 2008 Ram w/ the 4.7 today! I plan on getting him an sri as a Christmas gift. I am NOT going to cai route, but instead, which one of these sri would you recommend? I was assuming this one over this.

I WILL be throwing the filter away and replacing wither an AEM Dryflow or a K&N that does not require oil. Do you guys know where I could get JUST the piping instead of paying the extra cash for the filters ill be throwing away?

Thank You!

98sst 10-23-2009 06:31 PM

O'reilly or napa has tubing usually in stock, with grommets for sensors at their stores. They usually have spectre filters there aswell. Everything you need basically!

19Accord97 10-23-2009 06:33 PM

Thank You for the quick reply! Any idea as to how much the piping is and is it specifically for the ram or just general bent pipes? Also, as I drive a 97, I don't have much familiarity w/ MAF sensors and whatnot. Does this Ram have one?

In addition, do you have to remove the grille or headlights when putting a sri in? What is the difficulty level?

98sst 10-23-2009 06:47 PM

It is general piping, but it really is not that hard to build.
I personally drive a 5.9... So I'm gonna kinda wing what you should do.

With the 4.7, you do not need a hat, which means a coupler should go directly over the TB, and piping can route from there, I'd do a 90*, straight, 45*, 7and a straight towards the air source, followed by the filter. Thats just a rough judgement.

The 4.7 does have both I believe, but like I said I drive a 5.9, don't take my word for it.

Hope this helps!

98sst 10-23-2009 06:50 PM

Scroll down to the bottom of the 1st page on this thread, theres a good picture of a homemade one, looks like they used PVC, but piping is even better.

This will give you a general idea.

19Accord97 10-23-2009 06:51 PM

Thanks again for your reply!

When you say it has both, it has the MAF sensor and what else? Now I am more lost as to what I will need to get the MAF sensor. Does anyone here have the no name eBay intake? If so, how does the MAF work, is there an adapter included?


19Accord97 10-23-2009 06:52 PM

Thanks for the link! From what I can see it looks like there is nothing attached to the intake? Do you think they simply blocked off anything that was attached?

Sorry for these questions, I wont see the truck in person until tomorrow so I have no idea what all is connected to the intake.

98sst 10-23-2009 07:01 PM

I have had an ebay intake on my other truck. Lets see here...

The MAF is on the throttle body, you won't worry about that, and for the other...

there is the other thing which name escapes my mind, its usually a rubber tube that connects to the intake tubing somewhere... Basically you can go back to the source of it and put a minature filter over it. You'll see it when your shopping for it.

Sorry if I am confusing you, I cannot remember the stupid name of it! I just build these for various vehicles whenever my friends want them.

98sst 10-23-2009 07:04 PM

I think it's called a vaccum tube... I do not believe anything was attatched. When you see the truck, take a picture of the engine's intake tubing, post it on here for me (and others) to look at. I just need to see that and I will be able to help from there!

19Accord97 10-23-2009 07:07 PM

Alright, I gotcha!

If you look @ the second link I post I see the vacuum tube attached to that intake wheres the single pipe does not have one.

Those filters are called Breather Filters and are usually made by APC for about $8 @ Advance Auto or wherever. I think its still better for the vacuum tube to be connected to the intake, but the breather shouldn't hurt it.

So it looks like we've got that figured out! Thank You!

One last question, is the installation easy? On my Accord it was as simple as removing and re installing, where-as when I look @ the pictures of the link you gave it seems some have the grille or headlights removed.

EDIT: I'm an idiot and forgot that the grille is part of the hood, hence why you don't see it. lol

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
= Copyright a Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger