DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Looking for power (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43073)

GunDog1 10-25-2009 04:28 AM

Looking for power

Ok So Had a crazy thought run through my mind today. I got a 1500 5.7l H. Its a 2004 and is extended cab. I was wondering if I had the time and money would it be possible to make a manual? And run 4.10 gearin.
If not then what should I do to get that power I want out of the truck and get great low end and pullin power? Maybe destroy some vehicals in power now and then?

Basically I'm getting deployed again and Want to beast out my truck.
Gain in horsepower and torc is BIG plus!
Anyhelp is great. Thanks!

08Ram1500 10-25-2009 07:17 AM

For power, I would go with the DiabloPredator chip, CAI, and exhaust. I personally have a flowmaster exhaust and about to install the K&N 63aircharger. I have read lots of good reviews over the BFI CAI, but it is too expensive for me.

CHILLZ HEMI 10-25-2009 07:27 AM

I def think it would be a waste of money just to make your truck a stick shift...If your looking for whats best out there on the market for the HEMI, you need to be willing to spend the money...For a CAI, i would get the BFI, for an exhaust i would get a MOPAR powered by BORLA exhaust, you could get headers too... and I would prefer getting the Super Chips tuner instead of the diablo because its more for a low profile setup, the diablo will work on low profile setups, but is mainly for SC or turboed engines...Now if you wanna get a SC, thats a different story...But you did say you want to make your truck a BEAST, and a SC will do that...

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-25-2009 10:04 AM

Lot of work to convert over to a manual trans . Lot of headaches . You'll probably regret even starting the conversion . Only way I would even attempt to do it is if you had a donor truck there for all the parts and hardware . Would go with the Diablosport Predator . Great tuner there for the money .Would also look into headers , high flowing cats , good set of mufflers , cold air intake . Could even go with a set of under drive pulleys .

GunDog1 10-25-2009 12:15 PM

I already got the flowmasters and k&N. But for some reason it seems I lost some power. What is BFI, and SC?
K so I will throw the manual idea out lol.

erm 10-25-2009 12:46 PM

If you opened up your exhaust a bit, you might have lost some low end torque. No worries. Get a DiabloSport Predator and a 180 degree thermostat.

You can always change the diff gears as well with a 3.73 or 3.91 set for a good increase in torque.

raceram9 10-25-2009 09:21 PM

no dont get the 3.92 gears if you are going to change them go with 4.10 or even better 4.56 and a superchips programmer headers a plus

CdnoilRAM 10-25-2009 09:29 PM

The BFI is the name of the intake from Airflow Inovations
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=40649

And an SC is a supercharger... if you go that route, then be prepared to fork out for new tires... cuz you'll want to roast them everywhere you can!

For more power after the basic 3, CAI, exhaust, and tuner; then for the low end: long tube headers, highflow cats, and an underdrive pulley to reduce the parasitic drag from your accessories; also a higher lobed camshaft will make some big differences.

After that, if you want to tear into the top end you can get ported/polished cylinder heads w/ big valves.

erm 10-25-2009 09:40 PM

Superchips is a good system but it's all canned programs, no options for fine tuning, which I use with my 300 SRT8 to set fan on temps, add fuel to reduce a lean condition, getting a CMR dyno tune and a bunch of other options.

I've used Superchips before and liked them but they just aren't as flexible for custom programming as the Predator.

Incognito 10-25-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunDog1 (Post 94985)
Ok So Had a crazy thought run through my mind today. I got a 1500 5.7l H. Its a 2004 and is extended cab. I was wondering if I had the time and money would it be possible to make a manual? And run 4.10 gearin.
If not then what should I do to get that power I want out of the truck and get great low end and pullin power? Maybe destroy some vehicals in power now and then?

Basically I'm getting deployed again and Want to beast out my truck.
Gain in horsepower and torc is BIG plus!
Anyhelp is great. Thanks!

Why don't you just throw on a supercharger instead? I wouldn't convert it to a 6-speed unless you're deadset on rowing through each gear. Nitrous offers the best bang for the buck, but if you have lots of money to spend I'd recommend an STS twin turbo. Aftermarket intakes and exhausts help a lot too.