DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jittery stops (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43116)

jayhkr 10-26-2009 12:49 PM

Jittery stops

Hey everyone, hope all is well! I've noticed recently that when I come to a stop and have to apply the brakes with a fair bit of pressure, that they are "jittery" or "bumpy" feeling. I had my wheels rotated and had them take a look at my pads, the back ones are fine, but the front are about 70% gone. In my experience though, when the pads are wearing out, I get the typical screaching sound, not this jittery stuff. It almost feels like something is unbalanced. Maybe rotors warped? With winter right around the corner, I really don't want to take any chances. This will be my first winter with this truck so I want to be sure everything is up to spec with it. We can get some pretty nasty winters in the mid-west and it's been YEARS since I've had a 4x4. The last thing I need to be worring about is stopping. :158: Thanks guys for your help!

dodgeman70592 10-26-2009 12:51 PM

Had same problem with mine, was warped rotors

jayhkr 10-26-2009 01:06 PM

Yeah, that's what I figured. Kind of pi$$es me off because that is usually done by over tightening the lug nuts after they rotate tires. Well I guess I have to wait till the weather here breaks and get them changed.

STINKER1 10-26-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhkr (Post 95564)
Yeah, that's what I figured. Kind of pi$$es me off because that is usually done by over tightening the lug nuts after they rotate tires. Well I guess I have to wait till the weather here breaks and get them changed.

warped rotors my friend, get them to the dealer or a local shop and have them turned down slightly or , remvoe them and take them to napa an have them turned,

tmansram 10-26-2009 02:32 PM

Just had the rear rotors turned last week for the same problem.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-26-2009 04:13 PM

Sounds like it's time to have the rotors cut and new pads put on .

dodgeman70592 10-26-2009 04:19 PM

This is a big problem for Rams, the reason being they are large diameter rotors, but are very thin for their size. I had mine turned late last year and the problems are arising again. To combat this, my suggestion (whick I am in the process of) is getting drilled/slotted aftermarket rotors. For the price, ya cant beat it, and they dissipate heat extremely well. Couple that w/ semi-ceramic racing brakes, and you pretty much dont have to worry about rotors/pads for a long time. Like I said though.......Suggestion

jayhkr 10-26-2009 05:16 PM

How much are you guys being charged for turning your rotors? I have a little in savings, but I'm hoping it's not going to ruin my x-mas spending. I have whole-heartly thought about changing out the entire brake pads next year, I guess I'll be adding rotors to that list now.

What are the issues I could be facing if this ends up costing to much and I have to wait till the first of the year for? I hope it doesn't come down to that, but . . . . (always that but nowadays). Thanks again everyone!

dodgeman70592 10-26-2009 05:23 PM

It used to be about 10-15 dollars per rotor to get them turned, thats if you bring them in to Oreilys or whatever, but if you go to a dealer, it could run you well over $100

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-27-2009 05:08 PM

$10-$15 a rotor