DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Cloudy Headlight Lens (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43198)

Quiet Lunatic 10-28-2009 09:01 AM

Cloudy Headlight Lens

Has anyone tried any car part dealer's cleaner/polisher kits to clean up clouded over headlight lenses? Do they work? I've been told toothpaste and elbow grease works...anyone tried that?

chithead 10-28-2009 09:15 AM

I've used Mother's aluminum polish with great results.

Just apply like you would to a rim, rub it in, let it dry, then buff it back off. Then I used soap and water for a final cleaning and to get any residue off the headlight housing.

pwrwgnman 10-28-2009 11:14 AM

I tried the toothpaste thang and it did clean the outside nicely but I think its the heat from the lamps that discolors the plastic, the turn signal lights still look like brand new but they dont get used near as much as the headlights, thats why I think that...

abacgoat 10-28-2009 12:24 PM

I let a body shop do my headlights for $40 each, I wasn't sure if that stuff from Autozone would work as good. Plus the body shop took the headlights out to do it and realigned them for me. I was very satisfied with them and it saved me alot of trouble.

erm 10-28-2009 12:44 PM

Meguiar's makes a plastic polish as well. Do you have glass lenses or plastic? If it's glass, the glass shops have a mildly abrasive paste that cleans up pitted and hazed glass really well! I use it on my windshields after each winter to clean the crud off of them, especially in the area where the wipers don't sweep the glass.

bones64 10-28-2009 12:59 PM

Awsome info all. I have the drivers side going that way and i will take your ideas and try it myself. Thanks.:smileup:

GPSHSLAX 10-28-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones64 (Post 96649)
Awsome info all. I have the drivers side going that way and i will take your ideas and try it myself. Thanks.:smileup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrwgnman (Post 96620)
I tried the toothpaste thang and it did clean the outside nicely but I think its the heat from the lamps that discolors the plastic, the turn signal lights still look like brand new but they dont get used near as much as the headlights, thats why I think that...

My understanding is that a lot of headlight fogging is caused by UV damage. Case in point, all the vehichles that have fogging on one side much worse than another. pwrwgnman, do you by chance park you vehichle is the same place every day facing in the same direction? And if so, is the bad light on the side that gets more sun?

I have a coworker with a vehichle that has one clear light and one badly fogged. She also has bad UV damage to all the rubber around the windows on the side with the fogged light. She bought her car from her grandmother and claims it is because it spent most of it's first 3 year parked faceing the same direction in her driveway where the afternoon sun baked the passenger side every afternoon.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-28-2009 04:45 PM

There are several different kits out there . I have used a kit that you wet sand the lights with 1000 grit , 1500 grit , then 2000 grit . Once done then you buff them up . Didn't do a bad job . Meguairs also has a plastic polish for headlights also .

pwrwgnman 10-28-2009 06:04 PM

I park it so the right side is always facing the sun and both are or were fogged, I polished one on a deer , but they both did the same fogging thing, :i_rolleyes:
I was just guessing about the heat from the lamps because the corner lights are still crystal clear and they are plastic also, it might be different plastics, dont really know for sure, the only thing I could think of was heat from the halogen bulbs...Just an observation and like I said the toothpaste made the outside look slick but they were still fogged.

pwrwgnman 10-28-2009 06:08 PM

Both my 96`s look the same way like I said it may just be different plastics or something lol
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w.../trucks007.jpg