DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   MSD for HEMI??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43299)

ScatPak07 10-30-2009 05:36 PM

MSD for HEMI???

Hey guys I just wanted to know if anyone has attempted to throw an MSD box into their hemi truck?

CHILLZ HEMI 10-30-2009 06:44 PM

whats an MSD box??? And whats its funtion???

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-30-2009 06:49 PM

Don't think you can put a box on the Hemi's . Thought only coil's were available .

ScatPak07 10-30-2009 06:54 PM

The MSD box is used for your ignotion. Sends more sparks to light up your fuel. My mechanic said he was going to try wiring it into the truck but we werent sure if it can be done with the HEMI motor. All other vehicles can be used but with the complicated 16 spark plug hemi design haha dont know if the MSD could be used

CHILLZ HEMI 10-30-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatPak07 (Post 97940)
The MSD box is used for your ignotion. Sends more sparks to light up your fuel. My mechanic said he was going to try wiring it into the truck but we werent sure if it can be done with the HEMI motor. All other vehicles can be used but with the complicated 16 spark plug hemi design haha dont know if the MSD could be used

Oh, ok yeah...The MSD ignition systems...Yeah im not too sure if that would work either...Like you said, there are 16 plugs...And like Tom said, they use coil packs and not regular wires...

ScatPak07 10-30-2009 07:01 PM

Well im going to let my mad scientist of a mechanic figure a way to put it in there haha. But ya I was looking to see if anyone had ever thought of putting one in and see what their experience was in doing so

Incognito 10-30-2009 10:43 PM

What the hell? If it wasn't raining outside I'd take a look under the hood. I knew that these Hemis had the coil-on-plug ignition rather than regular coil packs but I never knew that they had 2 plugs per cylinder. Damn. I guess when it's tune up time it'll be a bit expensive. S**t!

erm 10-30-2009 10:47 PM

No MSD boxes available for the HEMI yet, according to their site.

Guess they haven't figured out how to accommodate the 16 plugs and coil on plug system yet.

Yep, 16 plugs but they aren't anything special and unless you have a problem with too rich of a fuel mixture or an oil seal failure, you won't have to change them out real soon.

CdnoilRAM 10-31-2009 12:58 AM

I was looking at an MSD system with new blaster coils when I redo my intake manifold, but the stock system is just as good and with the blaster packs it'll pack plenty of spark. Trying to tune the MSD system with the HEMI can be a pain, but if you have a good dyno guy then you'll be fine.

ScatPak07 11-02-2009 04:59 PM

Ya im going to pass on it haha. Seems that its not going to work. I'll wait untill MSD figures it out for me and makes a box for the HEMIs