DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   How can I fix my steering? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43302)

ilovetards 10-30-2009 07:35 PM

How can I fix my steering?

I did a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for. My steering on my ram is a bit loose, like 1-2" of play before the wheels turn. I have a '98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with 174,000kms(108000miles). I'm just wondering what I should be replacing to tighten up the steering. I have no vibration or weird sounds coming from the front end, its just a bit sloppy. My co-worker said I should be replacing my tie rods, but I wanted to confirm with you experts before I start ordering parts. Thanks.

CHILLZ HEMI 10-30-2009 07:44 PM

Your co-worker is right...The most common problems that I see in my shop of loose steering is caused by worn tie rods, idler arm, or center link...Your steering wheel should only have about 1/4" of play....I would def get it checked out soon, cuz if the tie rods break off, your steering is gone...And you would not want that while driving, obviously...:smileup:

5 Speed 8L 10-30-2009 07:58 PM

I just had to replace my Steering Box, Idler Arm and Inner Tie rod. Take a look under your truck and inspect the tie rod ends. If the rubber surrounding end is torn or leaking grease they need to be replaced. You can also try adjusting the steering box itself. There is a Lock nut and nut on the top of the box. Try loosing the nut and tighting the Allen Key. Just a 1/4 turn. Let me know if you have any questions Pmiller0614@yahoo.com

ilovetards 10-30-2009 08:14 PM

I'm not much of mechanic so I honestly wouldn't even know what to look for under my truck. I was thinking about picking up a Haynes Manual to point me in the right direction. Tie Rods are relatively cheap for my truck aren't they? The steering box is $800 according to my father in law who works as a parts manager for dodge. I'm hoping it is just the tie rods.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-30-2009 09:34 PM

Could be just about anything . Need to get the front end checked by a pro .

bigdaddyII 10-31-2009 01:30 AM

One of my old bosses had a 2000 with mucho play in the steering. He changed the idler and pittman arms and that tightened it up. It could be just about anything though. If you are not all that mechanically inclined, go to an alignment shop and get an alignment. They will tell you what you needs replaced. Find a shop you trust and have them do the work and align it after.

CHILLZ HEMI 10-31-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII (Post 98159)
One of my old bosses had a 2000 with mucho play in the steering. He changed the idler and pittman arms and that tightened it up. It could be just about anything though. If you are not all that mechanically inclined, go to an alignment shop and get an alignment. They will tell you what you needs replaced. Find a shop you trust and have them do the work and align it after.

Well I dont think they will actually do the alignment if there are problems with any of his steering or suspension components...He should go to a shop and get a steering/suspension eval to see what components are loose, worn, broken off, or whatever the case may be, and then go from there to get the problem fixed, and then of course get the alignment like you said:smileup: