DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   True Dual Mufflers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43343)

rebel2thegrave 10-31-2009 11:30 PM

True Dual Mufflers

Planning on running a true dual (stock Cats) custom pipe (2.5") setup with an H-crossover to balance everything out. The gas tank is giving me a little grief on planning the setup but I'm pretty sure I can manuever around it. My main concern is with the mufflers at this point. I'm looking for a set of mufflers that is going to have the outside rumble without making too much noise in the interior. I'm currently looking at the Flowmaster 40 series, and the Super 44 series. Although I've heard mixed reviews/opinions on the exterior/interior noise volume of these mufflers, but of course everyone is running a different setup so its really hard to make a decision.

So with the setup I'm currently planning... What set of mufflers do you guys recommend that will give me the outside rumble I need, with a reasonably quiet interior that the lady won't mind?

Any personal experiences or reviews would be great, as well as any RAM Chick's opinion!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-31-2009 11:34 PM

May want to see what everyone else has to say about it . Especially when the MDS kicks in . I hear it makes it sound like a Honda Civic with a fart can on it .

rebel2thegrave 10-31-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 98476)
May want to see what everyone else has to say about it . Especially when the MDS kicks in . I hear it makes it sound like a Honda Civic with a fart can on it .

:LOL: I needed that laugh, thanks brother! But yea, I'm anxious to hear some opinions.

erm 10-31-2009 11:45 PM

I've used Flows before...they get loud inside and out. I prefer Magnaflow mufflers. Great sound when you get on it, quiet at cruise and around town.

MDS on a 5.7L HEMI will create a drone so make sure you add some resonators in the back. Or, if you prefer not to have resonators and you do have the HEMI, get a DiabloSport programmer. You can turn OFF the MDS.

rebel2thegrave 10-31-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 98485)
I've used Flows before...they get loud inside and out. I prefer Magnaflow mufflers. Great sound when you get on it, quiet at cruise and around town.

MDS on a 5.7L HEMI will create a drone so make sure you add some resonators in the back. Or, if you prefer not to have resonators and you do have the HEMI, get a DiabloSport programmer. You can turn OFF the MDS.

So the setup would be something like; header -> cat -> resonator-> muffler -> tip?

I'm beginning to lean towards possibly running a single in dual out Super 44, would I still need a resonator for that setup?

CajunDodge 11-01-2009 12:04 AM

Finally got to drive my buddy's Ram last week (been beggin' him for weeks, lol), but me, personally, I like the sound of the Flowmaster. Yes, you can hear it inside, but to me, not aggravating at all on his HEMI, just depends on personal preference. My '81 had it (already installed when I bought the truck so I can't take credit for the mod, only for enjoying it :D), but I didn't find it distracting at all and I had the 318 in mine, so no MDS. Haven't really had any experience with the Magnaflow, but from the sounds of it, lol, (no pun intended), might be the way to go if you want it quieter in the cab. :)

- Cajun :pepper:

rebel2thegrave 11-01-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunDodge (Post 98504)
Finally got to drive my buddy's Ram last week (been beggin' him for weeks, lol), but me, personally, I like the sound of the Flowmaster. Yes, you can hear it inside, but to me, not aggravating at all on his HEMI, just depends on personal preference. My '81 had it (already installed when I bought the truck so I can't take credit for the mod, only for enjoying it :D), but I didn't find it distracting at all and I had the 318 in mine, so no MDS. Haven't really had any experience with the Magnaflow, but from the sounds of it, lol, (no pun intended), might be the way to go if you want it quieter in the cab. :)

Was he running true duals?

CajunDodge 11-01-2009 12:15 AM

Yep, and to me, sounds awesome! :)

erm 11-01-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel2thegrave (Post 98497)
So the setup would be something like; header -> cat -> resonator-> muffler -> tip?

I'm beginning to lean towards possibly running a single in dual out Super 44, would I still need a resonator for that setup?

Header > Cat > Muffler > Resonator > Tip

The resonators go at the end of the system.

rebel2thegrave 11-01-2009 12:28 AM

Cajun - Do you know what series of Flowmasters he was running?

MADDOG - Appreciate the help!