DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Silverado vs Ram (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43420)

Quiet Lunatic 11-02-2009 07:37 PM

Silverado vs Ram

I've been checking out this board for a couple weeks now...the first time I logged on I noticed the advertisement at the top of the page that states
"See Head-to-Head Comparisons of the Ram 2500 & Chevy Silverado 2500. www.Chevrolet.com/Silverado2500HD". The ad sticks out like my sore thumb.

I thought that was a rather strange ad for a Dodge forum. Well today I went ahead and clicked on the link. It took me to the chevrolet website to a page that compares their product with Dodge and the other two trucks. If I didn't already own one, their website would have made me want a Ram over their truck. By their own admission, with the exception of towing capacity and the onstar options, the Ram is by far the better truck. What's up with that?:thk:

CdnoilRAM 11-02-2009 07:58 PM

Can't even hide behind the truth I guess.

As both a ford and a dodge owner I can tell you which is a superior ride and which has more power. I won't touch a chevy/GMC even with some slightly better numbers from their diesel. The dodge Cummins makes better power off of 6 cylinders and has a much beefier low-end, and fewertransmission problems now than before since they switched to the allison-clone transmission. Look at what all the sled pullers are running, almost all the top names are running a Dodge Cummins, OR they've got a Ford SuperDuty/cummins swap. Now, the silverados have a smoother ride and better top end when hauling, and their HDs run a Dana60 or 80, I can't remember exactely.

Incognito 11-05-2009 12:22 AM

Dana80 if I'm not mistaken. A lot of people say the SuperDuty is the best truck and the Cummins is the best engine, and mate them together and you'd have a kick*ss hauler. I have the Ram 3500 to haul my trailer and it is an absolute piece of garbage. I'm regretting it almost every week. Had nothing but problems since I owned it. I work the absolute piss out of both my Ram 1500 and my Ram 3500, and my 1500 has double the mileage and has double the reliability. What you choose depends on what you'll be using your truck for. Both my Ram 1500 and my Ram 3500 I use for work, so I skipped the Sierra 3500 and went with the Ram 3500 since it had the Cummins engine. The Cummins engine, assuming it is operating properly, is hands down the better performer in regards to workload. I don't care what the numbers say, I can tell you from my own personal experience that the Cummins blows away the Duramax and the PowerStroke.

CdnoilRAM 11-05-2009 02:22 AM

^^Agreed. It's a shame the dodge 3500 just isn't as reliable as the Super Duty, which is why I have an '08 F-350 for work. My dad has his Ram 3500 CTD and so far has had no problems, but it's a street only truck that hauls his 29' 5th wheel. Now if only they could get a truck that could last as long as the engine! It's a 500,000km engine in a 250,000km truck :str:

Incognito 11-07-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 100579)
^^Agreed. It's a shame the dodge 3500 just isn't as reliable as the Super Duty, which is why I have an '08 F-350 for work. My dad has his Ram 3500 CTD and so far has had no problems, but it's a street only truck that hauls his 29' 5th wheel. Now if only they could get a truck that could last as long as the engine! It's a 500,000km engine in a 250,000km truck :str:

Man, you have the truck I almost bought! I really, really wanted the '08 Super Duty, but I bough the Ram 3500 just because I knew, or thought at the time, that the Cummins would clearly be the better choice for a work truck. Hell, I'm lucky if I get 250,000km out of my Ram 3500. It's only at 68,000km at the moment and it's at the dealership once a month. :(

CdnoilRAM 11-07-2009 04:31 PM

So what problems have you been having with the 3500 recently? Anything that has an underlying problem or just lots of small things? Anything repetative? Dealerships are notorious for just fixing the symptoms, not the actual problem.