DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Manual With Your Cummins? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43461)

Lil Black 4x4 Hemi 11-03-2009 05:38 PM

Manual With Your Cummins?

Expect an increase in its desirablilty!

Growing up I was always ALWAYS taught to pair up a diesel with a manual. That was verified the other day by a family friend pulling a 50ft 5th wheel camper up and down the mountains with his Cummins dually automatic. In any case, Dodge seems to be the ONLY company who's going to even give people an option starting for the 2011 model year.

I read that Ford will be introducing their new 6.7L in house built diesel, which also uses urea, and expects it to finally overtake the Cummins' power ratings. Coinciding is the release of the new Torqshift 6 speed which will become the only tanny option. :i_rolleyes: So, I think it is safe to assume that we'll see even MORE Cummins sales in the next few years. Dodge at least puts the option on the lot, Ford can't claim that.

You 6.7 owners who've had 5.9s......pros, cons?

Luke

mmbroussard 11-06-2009 12:08 AM

The new Autos are rated to tow more than the sticks. On the GMs the manual Transmissions got a lower rated Duramax than those with the Allison. I think in 05 or 06, the Cummins with the auto was rated for more than the standard. Yes a manual is durable over the life of the vehicle but an auto can take more abuse. Think how fast an inexperienced driver can burn up a clutch. Most drag cars are manually shifted autos. All of the fire trucks on my dept are Cummins backed by Allisons and trust me those trannies can take some abuse every day. I wanted a 6 speed but a friend of mine who is a Fleet Sales manager for a local Dodge dealer advised against it in the newer models because of this. Go with the Auto and when it does fry go Suncoast.

boostjunkie1 11-06-2009 03:30 AM

:LOL:.................... Get the Manual in a truck that is actually going to work. Get the auto if you are going to tow once a month.

reider 01-12-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmbroussard (Post 100987)
The new Autos are rated to tow more than the sticks. On the GMs the manual Transmissions got a lower rated Duramax than those with the Allison. I think in 05 or 06, the Cummins with the auto was rated for more than the standard. Yes a manual is durable over the life of the vehicle but an auto can take more abuse. Think how fast an inexperienced driver can burn up a clutch. Most drag cars are manually shifted autos. All of the fire trucks on my dept are Cummins backed by Allisons and trust me those trannies can take some abuse every day. I wanted a 6 speed but a friend of mine who is a Fleet Sales manager for a local Dodge dealer advised against it in the newer models because of this. Go with the Auto and when it does fry go Suncoast.

:doh:

i think you need to do some more research. autos taking more abuse? i dont think so. even with a built auto, they still blow up. i know numerous people who've had so many issues with autos in diesels. sure an inexperienced driver can burn up a clutch, but its not that likely once a person learns how to use a clutch. i learned to drive on a clutch as my first vehicle, i have never burned up a clutch, im sure there is people out there who have no idea what they are doing and will burn up clutches with a lack knowledge. they just need to learn.

most drag cars are manaully shifted autos because it is quicker and thousanths of seconds count. they also rebuild those cars all the time.

as far as the fire trucks with cummins and allisons, you're talking about something completely different than a normal cummins. as far as a dealer telling you not to get a manual, they will tell you anything to sell you the newest most hyped product. why would want to buy a truck that WILL burn up if you dont spend a big chunk of change to have it built? it may burn up at 50,000 or at 200,000, but it will burn up eventually. granted, clutches can wear out, but id rather spend 500 bucks on a clutch, than 3+ grand on a tranny. the one thing i will agree with you on is that suncoast does a good job.

im really not trying to rip on you or anything, i just hate autos and i will always try to talk anyone out of buying an auto in a truck.:nunu:

also, ive been trying for months to find a 12v cummins or a 7.3 powerstroke with a manual. i cannot find one within 800 miles of my location. you cant hardly find one anymore cause people wont get rid of them. they are just too strong.

GTyankee 01-12-2010 01:35 PM

just a thought about trannys stick vs. automatic
when your tires are half buried in snow, sand, mud, etc & you need to get the truck rocking to get out of there, try doing it with the auto, your going to wish it was a standard, first gear, quick reverse, first, reverse etc.

reider 01-12-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 134264)
just a thought about trannys stick vs. automatic
when your tires are half buried in snow, sand, mud, etc & you need to get the truck rocking to get out of there, try doing it with the auto, your going to wish it was a standard, first gear, quick reverse, first, reverse etc.

:iagree:

yes

DODGE4x4 01-12-2010 04:39 PM

if i had a 6 speed cummins and an auto cummins sitting in front of me theres no way i would choose the auto. JMO

boostjunkie1 01-12-2010 09:14 PM

I have had both and like I stated before.... If you are buying the truck to work and have the tranny last a looooonnnngggg time = get the Manual.

Daily Driver and only tow the boat to the lake once a month = get the auto!

** The only reason the Autos are rated higher in HP and tq at this time is because on the G56 6-Spd the Dual Mass Flywheel that was incorporated into the Rams to keep vibrations down for the operator will not take but so much TQ. If left alone it will last 100k or better.
***The reason the autos are rated to tow more in a identical application is because the total weight of the auto transmission is less. This leaves more towing capacity. ,,,,, Just like a auto regular cab long box can tow more (rated) compares to a Quad Short Bed (same overall length)..... Weight Difference...

** The Manual gets old as a daily driver but if towing up and down the mountain passes with a 50' trailer behind you...... You will not regret it at all.... The Cummins G56 Trucks are BEASTS!!!!

Snowman 01-12-2010 09:51 PM

I used to always get a manuel transmission until they starded building smart automatics with tow/haul mode . After having automatics like the new ones i would never go back to a manuel. I tow 12,000 lbs most of the time and have had no troubles, you just can't abuse them with programmers or tuners.. As for as pro's and cons between 5.9L cummins and 6.7L cummins.... the 6.7 has a lot more power(stock) but the 5.9 got better fuel economy due to the new emission DPF on the 6.7L. By the way one of my automatics is an Allison behind a duramax the other is a 6rf8e(6 speed) behind a cummins which has very low miles yet.

reider 01-13-2010 11:34 AM

the 5.9 is way easier to work on, is far more reliable, you can get more power out of it with just the turn of a wrench, it was originally designed for use in third world countries where they would get ran in xtreme dust and not have the oil changed for long periods of time. they are more than capable of running 500,000 miles or more. not saying the 6.7 is a bad engine, just not great. i wish dodge would go back to the 12v, if it aint broke, dont f$%#ing fix it. they really made any improvements with the 24v. theres been many issues with injectors and high pressure oil pumps. not saying that every 24v has had those issues, just that it has been a fairly common issues. so if you run a 24v, dont start crying and bitching saying you've never had those issues. im just talking from the experience of friends, and from other forums that are strictly cummins, ie.-mechanics and such.