DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Plugs, plug wires and oil advice (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43487)

Capt JJ 11-04-2009 08:45 AM

Plugs, plug wires and oil advice
 
I'm looking to change the plugs. Should I stick with the OEM plugs? I have 73,000 miles. How often should the plug wires be changed? Also, should I start using synthetic oil? What are the advantages of doing so? Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Kens04 11-04-2009 01:18 PM

I think you cant go wrong with NGK plugs, not sure on the wires, mine say mopar on them so not sure if this is stock or someone put them on before I bought the truck. I changed to synthetic at 96k miles and very happy I did, no leaks.

Lil Black 4x4 Hemi 11-04-2009 03:41 PM

I can't comment specifically on the plugs/wires but I will say it's hard to beat Bosch, but ther are many FINE plug manufacturers out there.

On oil it's pretty personal in my opinion. The biggest part is changing it regularly. I knew a mechanic that did hot rod-OEM rebuilds and he always said that he'd have been out of a job if people changed their oil like they were supposed to. True to form I've got a Mazda 626 with 310k on it that runs like a top.

On my ram I run the Advanced Auto oil (cheap Shell I think) and a Pure One gold gripper filter. It appalls my bro-in-law but I change it in 3-4k.

Luke

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-04-2009 04:48 PM

I personally try to do a major tune up every 60,000 miles including wires . NGK plugs are excellent plugs to use . But you can use the original equipment also . Synthetic is a fine oil to use . I run Amsoil synthetics in all my cars motor and transmissions .

Incognito 11-05-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 100336)
I personally try to do a major tune up every 60,000 miles including wires . NGK plugs are excellent plugs to use . But you can use the original equipment also . Synthetic is a fine oil to use . I run Amsoil synthetics in all my cars motor and transmissions .

Amsoil is bloody expensive, but yes synthetic is the way to go. I use Mobil 1 synthetic on everything I have, including my motorcycles. I would recommend both NGK and Bosch, but I would stay away from any spark plug with more than one electrode. You pay a significant amount more and probably wouldn't notice the difference other than the new-found shrinkage in your wallet. As for wires, I'd recommend going with NGK or Bosch wires as well. You can try other manufacturers but those are two companies I've used over the years and I've never had a problem with them.

CdnoilRAM 11-05-2009 01:44 AM

I'd make the switch to synthetic. I also run Amsoil in the engine and i'm just about to switch the diff and tranny over too. I third the Bosch plugs/wires.

Quiet Lunatic 11-05-2009 02:32 AM

I use NGK 5306 plugs, Taylor shorty wires, and Mobil 1 oil.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-05-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito (Post 100551)
Amsoil is bloody expensive, but yes synthetic is the way to go. I use Mobil 1 synthetic on everything I have, including my motorcycles. I would recommend both NGK and Bosch, but I would stay away from any spark plug with more than one electrode. You pay a significant amount more and probably wouldn't notice the difference other than the new-found shrinkage in your wallet. As for wires, I'd recommend going with NGK or Bosch wires as well. You can try other manufacturers but those are two companies I've used over the years and I've never had a problem with them.

Amsoil is expensive but no more expensive than any other oil out there . Amsoil products you don't have to change as often as you do other oils . The grade of Amsoil that I use , I don't change out until I have 20,000 - 25,000 miles on it . I just make sure I change the filter every 5,000 miles still . Heres their link for more info . www.amsoil.com

deanthecrabman 11-05-2009 10:38 PM

Try these for wires. Most reasonable set of 8mm wires I've found.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-867815/

Incognito 11-07-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 100598)
Amsoil is expensive but no more expensive than any other oil out there . Amsoil products you don't have to change as often as you do other oils . The grade of Amsoil that I use , I don't change out until I have 20,000 - 25,000 miles on it . I just make sure I change the filter every 5,000 miles still . Heres their link for more info . www.amsoil.com

Amsoil here is about $2.00 to $4.00 more per litre than Mobil 1. And Mobil 1 is the same, states that you don't have to change it for about 20,000km or so. I use my trucks for severe duty, so I wouldn't trust not changing my oil for that long. I change the filter every 5,000km and the oil every 10,000km. It's all very expensive, but at least I know my Hemi is running top notch. Too bad my Cummins isn't. :(


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger