DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dumb question....4x4... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43489)

Travis 11-04-2009 10:42 AM

Dumb question....4x4...

I have a 99 dodge ram quad cab, automatic. All the other trucks that I have had have had a manual trans, so the automatic is new to me. The problem that I am having is, the truck will shift into and out of 4x4 high great, no grinding or anything, it will also shift into 4x4 low range fine. The problem happens when I try to shift out of 4x4 low range. The transfer case will grind really bad, trying to go back into 2 wheel drive. I guess my question is, what gear to I put the trans in to shift it out of 4x4 low or does it matter? I didn't know whether to put the truck in park, neutral, or if i should leave it in drive and have the truck rolling to shift it back into 2wd. Any help would be great. I don't have the owners manual to this truck, and it doens't give much info on the back of the visor. I tried to do a search on here, but couldn't find anything that would help with this problem.

Thanks,
Travis

Sport 11-04-2009 01:32 PM

Park or neutral

mlowney 11-04-2009 02:55 PM

yah on the autos it needs to be in nutral to engage and disengage 4x4 lo:smileup:

CdnoilRAM 11-04-2009 02:59 PM

^^ agreed. If you have any problems with it shifting out you can always put it in reverser and back up just a tad to get the gears to synch out. But this is a temp fix.

Travis 11-04-2009 03:16 PM

ok i will try that. It only does it when I am wanting to go from 4 low back into 2wd. Going into 4 low, and in and out of 4 hi is fine.

chithead 11-04-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 100222)
^^ agreed. If you have any problems with it shifting out you can always put it in reverser and back up just a tad to get the gears to synch out. But this is a temp fix.

This is what I always did, neutral for engage/disengage, then would put it in reverse to make sure.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-04-2009 06:10 PM

Should have the tranny in park . Can't move the shifter into 4x4 low range like you can for high range . If you could , you would have alot of people out there with blown motors , transmissions and who knows what else . Can't shift on the fly in or out of 4x4 low . Might want to see if on the backside of your drivers side visor has the instructions on 4x4 operation .

crg1987 11-06-2009 11:39 PM

The owners manual for my 99 quad cab states that you can put the truck into 4-hi up to 35 miles an hour (i've never done it going that fast cuz i'm afraid to) and that it'll go into 4-lo doing less than three. I pull it out of 4 hi/lo while coasting in drive. I used to stop and put in neutral to put it into/out of 4 wheel drive and it clunk and shudder every time. now when i'm rollin its nice and smooth. Guess I'm the oddball here.

Sparky 11-07-2009 10:45 AM

I've always changed on the roll. less than 3mph - 4 lo.

ramz267 11-12-2009 11:22 PM

put it in nutruel and it should be fine but make sure you use your fourwheel drive in low and high to keep the bareings good