DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Repairing Clearcoat? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43513)

Zekery360 11-04-2009 06:45 PM

Repairing Clearcoat?

So I was looking over my truck one day, and I noticed a few spots with some scratches, but it looks like the clearcoat is all that was scratched, they are not deep at all. I was wondering if anyone would know how to repair such a thing. I scrached where I removed the dealer badge, probably when I was cleaning off the adhesive. I have a red truck, and it shows pretty bad. Anyone have a hint for me?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-04-2009 06:55 PM

Try rubbing it out with rubbing compound . Make sure it is safe for clear coats . Most of them are .

chithead 11-04-2009 07:04 PM

Agreed. Also might look into a color specific wax too.

strobee 11-05-2009 04:57 AM

You might want to try a 3m product called hand glaze or something like that. Its a tall fat bottle with a beige color a creamy liqiud. Take a soft cloth on the tip of your finger with some of the liqiud and rub your finger in the same direction of the scratch. You need to apply some pressure while rubbing. Keep wiping it off to check and see if the scratch is going away. If you could feel the scratch with your nail it might be too deep. Then you have to go with some wet sanding and buffing. You can get this stuff from any auto body supply store.

Tommy

tjcin 11-05-2009 08:31 PM

I just watched a video at www.adamsforums.com on wet sanding scratches. It is pretty detailed. The man who does the work is called the "Junkman", he is cool and very informative. Check it out.

deanthecrabman 11-05-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcin (Post 100916)
I just watched a video at www.adamsforums.com on wet sanding scratches. It is pretty detailed. The man who does the work is called the "Junkman", he is cool and very informative. Check it out.

Gonna check that out when I get home. I'm losing some clearcoat on my roof and hood. I'll try anything to avoid repainting. Thanks tjcin!

tjcin 11-06-2009 04:57 AM

A scratch in the clear only can usually be sanded and buffed out. If you are experiencing peeling of clearcoat, that has to be repainted and then cleared.

deanthecrabman 11-07-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcin (Post 101023)
A scratch in the clear only can usually be sanded and buffed out. If you are experiencing peeling of clearcoat, that has to be repainted and then cleared.

It's not peeling. Just very dull and rough. The color is still there. Do you think a claybar or a high grit wet sand would smooth it out, then just reclear coated? My truck is maroon, so the paint is like $150/pint.

tjcin 11-08-2009 07:21 AM

Unfortunately, you can't just re-clearcoat a panel. If I were you I would proceed in the direction you mentioned. Wash, claybar with lubricant and then polish. Do you have a machine, like a Porter Cable DA polisher? If not, it's just more elbow grease. You can try a heavier cut polish first, then a lighter cut next and follow up with a good wax. Someone else may jump in with another suggestion, but other than having that panel painted and cleared again, that's probably as good as it can get.

deanthecrabman 11-09-2009 11:00 PM

I've got a DA sander, and a cheap car buffer. Someone else suggested something like a 1200grit wetsanding. I think I'll try the clay bar first. Thanks for the input.