DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Exhaust Idea...opinions needed. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43532)

armyrgr 11-05-2009 07:11 AM

Exhaust Idea...opinions needed.

whats going on everyone. well heres what i've been thinking since I like the tips that come stock on my truck. thinking to just get the stock mufflers removed and replaced with some flowmasters. What would be the pros and cons of just replacing the mufflers and not doing a full system?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-05-2009 07:32 AM

Your truck has the MDS . I've heard alot of people talk about the way these trucks sound like once you change out the exhaust . Hopefully someone will give you some advice on what to do and what not to do . Your ultimate choice , if your not to worried about gas mileage would be to turn off the MDS with your Predator then you could do whatever you want . I'm not sure if your tailpipes have resonators in them . But that too is another option you can play with . Remove them or or leave them alone . I myself like the sound of the chambered exhaust . Heres a clip with a Jeep SRT8 with chambered mufflers . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6V_H6jATa4 . Good luck with whatever choice you make . Let us know what you've done . Talk to ya soon . Come home safe . Tom

armyrgr 11-05-2009 08:30 AM

thanks, i don't know why i didn't think of this, but heres another option. i'm thinking now to just do a full flowmaster exhaust but just have the shop that puts it on take the stock tips off and put on the flowmaster pipe. i really like the way the stock tips look under the new rear bumber... what do yall think?

CHILLZ HEMI 11-05-2009 08:46 AM

Ive heard that the flowmaster set-up is the worst for the RAMs with MDS...It makes it sound raspy when your cruising down the highway...

rebel2thegrave 11-05-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHILLZ HEMI (Post 100609)
Ive heard that the flowmaster set-up is the worst for the RAMs with MDS...It makes it sound raspy when your cruising down the highway...

This isn't always true, it depends on what Flowmaster series mufflers you have as well as you're CAT-back setup. I have heard some MEAN Hemi RAM's with Flowmasters on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by armyrgr (Post 100606)
thanks, i don't know why i didn't think of this, but heres another option. i'm thinking now to just do a full flowmaster exhaust but just have the shop that puts it on take the stock tips off and put on the flowmaster pipe. i really like the way the stock tips look under the new rear bumber... what do yall think?

I take it you have the stock dual exhaust that came with new 4th-Generation Rams? Is it true dual exhaust or a single in/dual out muffler?
You're right about keeping the stock tips (at least that's what I think you mentioned), they look great blended in with that rear bumper on the new RAMs.
But let me know what series mufflers you're thinking about putting on there, as well as what is the current exhaust setup on your truck.

armyrgr 11-05-2009 12:11 PM

hey rebel, to be honest man, i'm in Iraq right now and don't really know what the setup is. the exhaust is stock from dodge. its most likely one in, and then two out. i'm looking at getting the super 44's for it. what do i need to do?!?

rebel2thegrave 11-05-2009 12:41 PM

Try and see if someone back home will crawl underneath your truck and check to see what the exhaust setup is, as well the pipe size entering the muffler. We'll need to know this before going much further.

Find that out for now, then we'll go from there.

Here's the link to the Flowmaster Super 44's for now. I'd go with the Stainless Steel personally, it's only a few bucks more and will hold up better.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...x&cPath=34_218

CdnoilRAM 11-05-2009 12:41 PM

I'd be worried about the sound when the MDS kicks in with the 44s. Another guy in my condo complex has then and he says it sounds like a lawnmower ricer when it's in MDS. I was doing research when I bought my cat-back for something that compensates for it and the upper end exhausts do. I got the borla dual out and I've never once heard a change in tone when MDS is on or off. Corsa and i believe gibsons makes kits that attenuate the higher pitch of the MDS as well. They are a bit more $$ but I for one don't ever want to sound like a civic...

armyrgr 11-05-2009 12:59 PM

borla huh? never heard of it going on a dodge ram before. prolly because this is my first ram forum. but for whatever reason, i wouldn't think that with the super 44's it would do the rice burner tune. Also, with my truck the fuel saver light never comes on. is it suppose too? i've got a yamaha R6 and don't want my truck sounding like it. Can anyone tell us the sizes of the 09' "dual" exhaust on the sport crewcabs? need to know the size going in the muffler and the size going out. thanks.

CdnoilRAM 11-05-2009 01:07 PM

I know a couple of guys around town that have the borla. Maybe we just have more $$ than brains :D The fuel saver light should come on if you're not stomping on the gas every 5 minutes when you're at about 5km or doing constant speeds on the highway.