DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Public Safety (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Equipment Console/Rack? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43580)

oh4ohyeah 11-06-2009 07:14 PM

Equipment Console/Rack?

I'm a part-time/volunteer firefighter and I was wondering if anyone had pictures of their emergency equipment setups in their Rams? I am particularly interested in siren mounting locations inside my truck. I have an older style Federal Signal siren that I love to death and it has a remote switch box and a "brain" and I'm trying to come up with ideas on where to mount everything. I was kinda' interested in the location under my HVAC controls, but it looks like it might require some extension modification. Maybe some type of universal equipment holder just to the right of the floor shifter for the 4WD?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

CdnoilRAM 11-06-2009 07:42 PM

Maybe some pics of the setup.

oh4ohyeah 11-06-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 101259)
Maybe some pics of the setup.

Well, I don't have pictures of my actual setup, but this is the siren that I'm looking to mount (minus the microphone.) The dimensions for the controller head are 2.6" x 6.4" x 2.6" if that helps.

http://www.fedsig.com/products/images/main/UM9200_d.jpg
More info can be found on the setup here.

The switches on the siren controller will actually eliminate the need for a separate switch box or toggle switches elsewhere, so this will be all I need really.

I was thinking about maybe looking for a horizontal equipment organizer like Gall's sells for around $50, but I'm open to ideas that might look better and possibly ideas that simply haven't come to mind.

CdnoilRAM 11-07-2009 12:07 AM

I'm wondering if you can mount it under the center seat right on the tub, unless you want it on the front console.

oh4ohyeah 11-07-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 101439)
I'm wondering if you can mount it under the center seat right on the tub, unless you want it on the front console.

Well, I was kinda' thinking around there, but I'd have to have it where I could see it clearly.

I dunno, I guess I just need to see some others to get some ideas. :doh:

CdnoilRAM 11-07-2009 01:51 AM

I left my work truck out of town at the company shop for work, else I could show you the CB/sat receiver set up we have. It's a bracket that's mounted on the open space between the center seat and the main console. The CB and Sat receiver are mounted at an angle so they're easily accessible while driving. Does your console have the cup holders mounted on a closing bracket like my '07? Would you be willing to sacrifice those and mount it in the hollow below the A/C console?

oh4ohyeah 11-07-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 101449)
I left my work truck out of town at the company shop for work, else I could show you the CB/sat receiver set up we have. It's a bracket that's mounted on the open space between the center seat and the main console. The CB and Sat receiver are mounted at an angle so they're easily accessible while driving. Does your console have the cup holders mounted on a closing bracket like my '07? Would you be willing to sacrifice those and mount it in the hollow below the A/C console?

Yeah, mine has the fold out cup holder tray and you know, that thought had actually crossed my mind, but I don't think I'd be able to go without the cup holders, to be honest. I might just have too, though.

oh4ohyeah 11-07-2009 03:35 PM

Well, I just got back inside from installing the siren in the truck. I just took that control head and mounted it on the side of the floor shifter for the 4WD. I'm going to make a bracket to actually mount it to the side, but for now it's just resting against it. The siren amplifier is mounted under the driver's side seat. I'm actually pretty impressed with the install job since you can't see any wires anywhere. I'll get some pictures as soon as I have a bracket fabricated for it.

Quiet Lunatic 11-17-2009 07:53 AM

What about using an over head console? The one that puts a small amount of storage up top the whole length of the cab above the windshild. That way you can glace up to see it and not down and have to take you eyes off the road. I am also a Firefighter.

oh4ohyeah 11-24-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4fire81 (Post 105747)
What about using an over head console? The one that puts a small amount of storage up top the whole length of the cab above the windshild. That way you can glace up to see it and not down and have to take you eyes off the road. I am also a Firefighter.

Yeah, I probably could've done that, but I plan on using that area in the future for a full size (or bigger) interior undercover windshield LED lightbar.