DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Payload questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43588)

09HemiRam 11-06-2009 11:14 PM

Payload questions

My first question is, why is the max payload so low in our trucks? Can't be lack of power obviously, so is it the new coil suspension? I believe it's about 1800 for the crew cab right? My dads 05 Silverado is about 3400 I believe, granted it's an HD, but that's a pretty big gap.

And also, I'd like to go with about a 4in. lift down the road with some 35's probably, is this going to lower the payload even more? What can I do to avoid that or even increase payload if possible?

CdnoilRAM 11-06-2009 11:25 PM

The 1/2 ton suspension isn't that beefy so I'm not surprised that it's so low. It's hard to compare the 1/2 ton suspension to the HDs since they're DESIGNED to be haulers. Ours are called full sized light trucks for a reason. The new coil suspension does play a part in the lower capacity but I can't see it being that big of one since they're still supposed to be a light work truck.
Installing a 4" lift shouldn't affect the capacity since they're designed to take off-road abuse.

09HemiRam 11-06-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 101402)
The 1/2 ton suspension isn't that beefy so I'm not surprised that it's so low. It's hard to compare the 1/2 ton suspension to the HDs since they're DESIGNED to be haulers. Ours are called full sized light trucks for a reason. The new coil suspension does play a part in the lower capacity but I can't see it being that big of one since they're still supposed to be a light work truck.
Installing a 4" lift shouldn't affect the capacity since they're designed to take off-road abuse.

That makes sense. I was questioning the lift kit because I figured the shocks and springs would probably be softer right? Wouldn't that cause more sag with a heavier load? I could probably suffice with a leveling kit that raises the back a little as well if a full lift would cause any problems.

CdnoilRAM 11-06-2009 11:32 PM

You can always install helper bags.

09HemiRam 11-06-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 101409)
You can always install helper bags.

Ah, that's right. I remember hearing about them a while ago. They actually work and don't screw anything up? Ride, handling, etc?

CdnoilRAM 11-07-2009 01:11 AM

They don't affect the ride at all. They simply raise the bed up from the frame so you have full travel of your suspension and don't hit the bump stops; at least that's how my F-350's set up; there may be other ways but that's the only one I know personally.

09HemiRam 11-08-2009 05:44 PM

What about this 5" bodylift/level kit combo that keeps the stock suspension? Will something like this lose, gain or maintain payload? Also, is it going to potentially cause anything to wear out prematurely?

http://www.performanceaccessories.co...body-lifts.pdf

erm 11-08-2009 06:48 PM

That kit won't help with payload but it does get it up in the air. Since it's not a suspension lift, there's no issues maintaining proper pinion angle at all 4 ends of your driveshafts.

Body lifts are a bit of work to install and you'll have all kinds of wires and hoses that will need to be extended.

With a suspension lift of a comparable size, you don't have as many lines and wires to lengthen except for the brake lines (I'm going with a longer set of braided stainless steel lines) but you do have to make sure the pinion angles are set properly.

With a suspension lift and some helper bags at the rear, you get the lift with less complications and a way to level out the truck when the load gets heavy in the back.

Your payload rating would not suffer with a suspension lift. It may actually improve, depending on the spring rates with a set of add a leafs in the back.

ramit04 11-08-2009 06:57 PM

i pulled they payload out today and lowered my truck

iRockCrawler 11-08-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 102023)

Your payload rating would not suffer with a suspension lift. It may actually improve, depending on the spring rates with a set of add a leafs in the back.

add a leaf may be difficult to install on a coil spring suspension ;)

I was also wondering about that.. I want to lift the truck but the whole purpose of buying a truck was to trailer my jeep to the trails.. still need to be able to pull the jeep if I lift it..