DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Mufflex 18" Install problems (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43668)

MTtruckr 11-08-2009 10:58 PM

Mufflex 18" Install problems

So I just put on my Mufflex 18" the other day but have some questions. It seems that the driver side tip is sitting lower than the passenger, and both seem a bit lower than with the original muffler. This seems fairly strange to me seeing as both pipes are the same and they have all the same hanger assembly; the only difference is the hanger provided by mufflex at the exit of the muffler.
Any thoughts on how this happened? Installation error on my part is possible, I won't get my feelings hurt.
Thanks

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-08-2009 11:06 PM

Pipes that you hooked the new muffler and pipes up to didn't twist on (or drop ) ya , did they . Could swing down making the fit look poor . Might try loosening up the clamps and have a second person twist them into place for ya while you secure the clamps .

MTtruckr 11-09-2009 08:01 AM

Yeah, that was my thought too. I just did that last night. The passenger has some play in it but the driver side doesn't want to adjust at all. It seems maybe the angle the muffler is hanging at could be off causing the exhaust pipe/muffler interface to be incorrect?
Does anyone have any pictures of their mufflex muffler (with dual exits) installed so I can get a comparison?

fuzzycali 11-09-2009 08:15 AM

how does it sound? this is a direct bolt on right?i hope u get this resolved.

rjc799 11-09-2009 10:59 AM

I just installed the 14" on mine yesterday and had to have my wife hold the pass side one while I tightened it. I originally twisted the mufflex until the driver's side one was aligned as well. It just takes two people to do and get/look right.

MTtruckr 11-09-2009 06:21 PM

rjc799, were you able to adjust the driver side at all. I had someone doing the same for me as your wife, but I had no give on the driver side to do any adjustment. I'm wondering if the hanger they provided is aligned a little off. I had to really work to get the muffler exits to align with the hanger clamps. If it is indeed the hanger being too high, I suppose that would explain the exhaust tips ending up too low. Am I totally off here??
fuzzycali, to answer you, yes this is a bolt on...besides from my little hitch it is a slick setup. I really like the sound, check out you-tube for some good clips on this system.

topgun 11-09-2009 08:05 PM

The chrome tip is adjustable. All you do is loosen the bolt on the swivel clamp and it will move to where you need it for perfect alignment in the cutout. I think you could even make the tips line up to a bumper without cutouts, there is that much adjustment. The most important thing to do is first align the tip lengths to be the same and make sure that the pipes have plenty of clearance around them to the spare tire, ect. Then align the tip in the cutout by loosening the swivel.

The swivel is about 12-18" forward from the tip. The torque spec for the swivel clamp is 19 ft lbs. Be sure to keep the tip drain hole on the bottom. You can rotate the pipe in the swivel as well as change it's position in the cutout.

MTtruckr 11-09-2009 09:48 PM

Topgun, I may love you. Problem solved, and with that my first ever exhaust mod. Sweet.