DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2/4 lowering question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43718)

jjhwick119 11-10-2009 01:55 PM

2/4 lowering question

alright, so ill start with that i got

2004 ram 1500 slt
reg cab
2" mcgaugheys drop shackled with overload leaf spring removed(i think thats what the leaf is called, lol)

now, first question...
if i were to do a 2/4 or 2/4.5 lowering kit, would i need to put the factory shackles back on? im not sure what all is involved with the whole truck lowering kit so i wasnt sure

next question...
i see a 2/4 and a 2/4.5 lowering kit....whats the difference? the 2" drop shackles didnt drop it it 2 inches, so i dont know what outcome to expect out of any of these. and since i took out the leaf spring im not sure if thats gonna make a dif in the type of kit i get

last question...
i can do any work on the inside of a car, ive dabbled in body work, and the only exterior work ive done on a car is doing my drop shackles. how hard is it installing the 2/4 kit? im not sure im able to do it...i can bring the truck up to work, we have jack stands, air compressor with air wrenches, and probably any tool id need, im just not sure how hard it is

thanks guys. appreciate any and all help!

bigjeff64 11-10-2009 02:06 PM

1. I would use what the kit comes with. if they say itll give u 2/4 then there is more to the kit.

2. I think that shackles take 1" before they drop so a 3" shackle would drop it 2 " I think it has somethin to do with the suspension load or somethin.

3. I have done lowering kits before and the more people u can get the better ur off. buy em dinner or somethin (pizza and beer) worked for me

chithead 11-10-2009 02:28 PM

How much did the shackles actually lower? I am considering getting a set, also looked at the overload spring removal, but not real sure about that.

jjhwick119 11-10-2009 02:36 PM

after putting in the shackles and removing the overload spring, the rear is still about 1/2 inch to an inch higher. not sure what stock height is. but they look good. it was a huge improvement and everybody noticed after i did it.

and from what i was told, its safe to remove the spring as long as you dont tow anything or have a really heavy load in the bed, which in my case i was fine with that

bigjeff64 11-10-2009 02:45 PM

when i dropped my friends f150 it was a djm 3/4 kit with 3"shackles and 2" hangers in the rear and drop springs in the front

hawgfanman 11-11-2009 02:03 PM

The McGaugheys kit comes with shackles that have two sets of holes. One set gives a 4" rear drop and the other gives 4.5". If you reuse your stock shackles you'll end up with a 6" rear drop or if you used your drop shackles it would be about 8" of rear drop.

hawgfanman 11-11-2009 02:04 PM

I didn't install mine but I've helped on a couple and as long as you have the tools and good jackstands, it isn't that hard.

Quiet Lunatic 11-13-2009 08:31 PM

I bought EIBACH 4in drop leafs and cut the springs 3/4 of the coil. cheap drop but kept everything factory and no-one knows the differance