DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Newbie Checkin! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   First time truck owner, first time dodge owner. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43721)

user zero 11-10-2009 02:35 PM

First time truck owner, first time dodge owner.

Hey everyone, I bought my first truck, my first dodge, actually my first American made vehicle last night. Its a brown 1996 Ram 1500 2wd automatic. Its got a V8 Magnum engine in it but I don't know if its the 5.9L one or the smaller of the two. Picked up the truck for 500 bucks and drove it home (90 miles or so). Started looking at it and it does need a good bit of work. Wheel bearing on the front drivers side is totally fubar, struts are all blown, tires are starting to dry rot, low beam headlights don't work (luckily the fogs worked and the high beams worked if i held the lever down). The radiator is in dire need of replacement as well, and I don't think the temp gauge works. Anyway, gonna be lots of work but I'll learn a lot about the truck while working on it. It should be an adventure. No pictures as of yet but I'll get some tonight or tomorrow morning.

chithead 11-10-2009 02:58 PM

Welcome to RamForumZ!!! Sounds like a great project you picked up!

BlueJet 11-10-2009 03:18 PM

Hello and welcome! :wavey:

Glad you joined us! You will have lots of help and advice here fixing her up! The guys here love that stuff! Can't wait to start seeing the progress!
I hope you enjoy the board and we look forward to seeing you out here! :)

SRTAndy 11-10-2009 03:36 PM

Welcome to the Z from Texas! Glad you joined us. :smileup:

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-10-2009 05:49 PM

Can't argue about the price . Glad you joined us . Any pictures of your truck ? Any plans for mods ? Any of your friends have Rams ? Tell them about us . We would love to have them . You will find this site is full of a lot of talented people . So if theres any question that you need answered , just shoot away . Talk to ya soon . Tom

user zero 11-10-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 102979)
Can't argue about the price . Glad you joined us . Any pictures of your truck ? Any plans for mods ? Any of your friends have Rams ? Tell them about us . We would love to have them . You will find this site is full of a lot of talented people . So if theres any question that you need answered , just shoot away . Talk to ya soon . Tom

I'll have to get pictures tomorrow morning, meant to today but it slipped my mind and now that I'm off work its dark. Only mods coming at this point is to get the truck running smoothly as cheaply as possible. I don't really have any money to spend for the next couple weeks so the project at this point is to figure out why the low beams don't work and to get the CEL light pulled.

CdnoilRAM 11-10-2009 09:27 PM

Welcome to the Z! Glad you came to us to look for help. We've got some great people on here with some excellent knowledge of both the 5.9L and the 5.2L.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. For your headlights, if your highbeams are working and not the low beams (and the fogs work too), a quick try would be replacing the bulbs (i know, kinda simple, but you never know) then from there seeing if you have a short somewhere along the line. If your fogs are working then you're getting power to the lowbeams as there's a cut out so when you switch on your high beams the fogs turn off with the lowbeams.

CajunDodge 11-10-2009 09:41 PM

Hello and welcome to RamForumZ, and to the Dodge family, glad to have you aboard! Sounds like a cool project truck. So what ya' got planned for it once she is back on the road, gonna be a daily driver, toy hauler? Looking forward to the pics, and be sure to keep us posted on your progress. Lots of great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the board! :Hey:

- Cajun :pepper:

erm 11-10-2009 09:48 PM

Sounds like a great project. If you can find the engine emissions sticker on the radiator core support, it will tell you if it's the 5.2L or 5.9L engine.

08CHALLENGER 11-10-2009 10:28 PM

Welcome from Tennessee! Congrats on owning a DODGE truck.