DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   2009 dodge Ram 08 Build No MDS light. 3rd party option? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43793)

DodgeBrat 11-12-2009 08:15 PM

2009 dodge Ram 08 Build No MDS light. 3rd party option?

Is there a 3rd party solution for putting an MDS/Fuel Saver Light Some where?

Thx for any Help

Barnyard 11-12-2009 09:13 PM

There's a recommended service for all the early '09 builds to update the firmware in the EVIC. The latest version has a "Fuel Saver" 'light' in the lower right-hand corner. You should be able to stop by your dealership and have them run your VIN to see what RS's still need to be performed on your truck. There were (5) or (6) waiting on mine.

I have an early '09 build that didn't have any fuel saver indication until it was re-flashed. Now it indicates like all the others.

scottfx 11-12-2009 10:47 PM

Barnyard

I have an early build as well 10/08 with no MDS light. When did you get yours re-flashed? My truck was in the shop 2 weeks ago for a vibration and they did not tell me there were any flashes available. I will have to call to find out.

Thanks,
Scott

Barnyard 11-12-2009 10:58 PM

When I was signing the papers, they looked it up and saw it had a few little RS's that needed to be performed. They didn't have time (late on a Sat.) then so I brought it back a couple of days later. I'm trying to remember what they were now...I think (1) was double-sided tape under the bed rail caps. I don't remember the others. They were pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things though.

I think you'd be OK if you just asked them to check what version you were running and ask if it's the latest/greatest. My Service Mangr. is a good friend. If you need to, I might be able to find out what version # they're on for you to double-check your dealer's answer.

I was in the exact same situation you are in. The dealership gave me a loaner since I traded my '98 Dakota in while they were waiting for the truck I wanted to be delivered. It was a late '09 build QC that had the Fuel Saver 'light' in the EVIC. I got used to seeing it after a couple of days and was pretty bummed to see that mine didn't have it when it arrived. Then, after all the RS's were done, it showed up! :^)

jimf5 11-13-2009 12:06 PM

HI All:
There are two different items that come from Chrysler,"RRT" and "TSB". The first is things that they are supposed to fix, as the factory knows there is a problem. The second is the "TSB'S, Tech.service bulletins, that they fix if you complain about a problem.
The fuel saver light fix is performed under TSB 18-019-09. This is for poor MDS performance, like rough shifting in or out of this mode. It also activates the "fuel saver" light in SOME early build 09's but not all of them.
Mine is an early Aug. 08 build and it is getting better mileage and better idle but no lite after the computer flash. From what i read you have a 50/50 chance of it working. Again you have to tell them you have a problem and ask them about TSB 18-019-09.

jimf5

CORUPTWJ 11-13-2009 01:51 PM

Hmm, mine doesn't have a MDS light, but I can feel and hear when it kicks in. I might have to take it in and see if there is a flash for it so it will come on.

RAMitDOWN 11-13-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORUPTWJ (Post 104098)
Hmm, mine doesn't have a MDS light, but I can feel and hear when it kicks in. I might have to take it in and see if there is a flash for it so it will come on.

Do ST's have the light ?
I know they have the MDS but thought they didn't have the MDS light.

kcslc 11-14-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORUPTWJ (Post 104098)

This may be a stupid question, but what should I be feeling and hearing when the system kicks in? I have seen RPMs drop a couple hundred during steady state cruising on the fwy, but I assume this is more of a torque converter lockup. I enjoy watching the numbers climb on the fwy, but I think it's just being overly optimistic. Yesterday I filled up with 17.0 MPG showing on the display, but hand calculated it was 15.5.