DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Public Safety (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Secondary Education (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43856)

Megacab07 11-14-2009 02:24 PM

Secondary Education

Was wondering with the number of public safety and hospital personnel here, has anyone attended or planning on attending a school for their profession? The goal of this is to offer suggestions and tips for choosing which schools to attend and which ones to stay away from ( not accredited, to expensive, not relevant). Let me know what you think. Also, fire and ems certifications do carry over to count as credit hours at some schools.

Just to start, I am a senior at American Public University majoring in Fire Science Management.

Quiet Lunatic 11-17-2009 07:49 AM

I am a Firefighter in the Air Force. We are required to have continuing Education. I am currently in the Fire Science getting ready to go on to the Fire Management. We are advised to stay away from the National Accredication schools and go with the Regionally Accredited.

CdnoilRAM 11-17-2009 04:21 PM

I'm an industrial rescuer and have had the opportunity of taking both the ROCO courses and the GRIP rescue courses. If you're a firefighter, I highly recommend the ROCO course, though the $5K price tag is a little steep, when they say 120 hours of corse, it's a week and a half of hard training in high angle/confined space/ and rope access rescue. Best I've taken. The Grip was great for industrial settings and doesn't focus so much on rescue in a firefighting scenario, not to mention only $2K.

By far the ROCO courses are the best, but having to travel to Baton Rouge and stay for a few weeks to get all your training is expensive; however I'm now a FULLY certified on-shore rescue attendant and it's worth every penny.

bones64 11-17-2009 05:48 PM

:wavey: Hey . I work as a registered orthopaedic technologist at our local hospital. Side by side with 5 orthopaedic surgeons dealing with anything orthopaedic. Involved with bone setting.pin and external fixation removal to wound care and wound debridement. We are situated in the E.R so we can asist with traumas as well. Our gov. body is The C.S.O.T in Canada. As far as i know soon there is going to be a shortage of techs. due to retirement. If anyone is interested in this go to a hospital with orthopaedic coverage , go to there fracture clinic and find out if there is any availability for a new tech. You can get on the job training and write your exam and then your oral and practical. Thats how i did it and it worked out well, Anyone needing any other info on this please give me a shout. In the USA im sure its the Northamerican Association of Orthopedic Technoligists. N.A.O.T:smileup:

MightyBlueRam 11-25-2009 02:27 PM

I work as a Paramedic & Firefighter here in Miami. I have already taken the Hazmat Tech course and several on the job training courses for paramedic such as Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Acute Coronary Syndrome, 12 Lead Interpretation, Advanced Airway, and other skills.

I've been considering gettting a master's in something but haven't figured that out yet. I have a bachelor's in education (teaching) from my previous career. Other than that I'd like to get certified in Fire Instructor and Driver Engineer.

Any one know anything that I could get a master's that related to Fire let know.

USCG71 11-25-2009 07:24 PM

You could always get a masters in fire science.

MightyBlueRam 11-25-2009 11:26 PM

I'll look into that. Thanks for the idea.