DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Need Help Desperately! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43937)

Quiet Lunatic 11-16-2009 09:19 PM

Need Help Desperately!

Okay, so I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 with 164,000 miles on her. When I got the truck, it had been used for a farm truck and I am assuming that they had loaded up the bed because it sagged pretty bad to the drivers side. It was 2 inches low on the driver's side rear and 1.5 inches low on the driver's side front. So I measured many times both sides in various places. Checked the bed mounts and they were fine. I didn't see any twist or torque in the body, but that is often hard to see. The truck had backed into something before in the past and had been slightly hit in the font as well. So first issue...could not get it aligned. Camber couldn't be aligned and the truck always ran to the right. Had it aligned (attempted) again, same issue. I then went and put all new springs and shackles in the rear. This lifted the rear almost 2 inches but the driver's side rear still sagged the same amount. The front was slightly better but still slightly off. I then took it back to the spring shop and had them shim the driver's rear leaf with a half inch shim. The truck is now only a half inch lower in the driver's rear side but almost even in the front. They re-aligned the truck and centered the stearing wheel. The camber now was much better! The truck follows the crown of the road and runs slightly to the right at times, but is much better. I am dumbfounded on how to figure out why the truck is lower on that side! Any help would be highly appreciated!

JackJ 11-17-2009 12:45 AM

Well, the gas tank is on that side. Mine leans to the left a little bit all the time.

Just a guess though.

Quiet Lunatic 11-17-2009 07:38 AM

My 2003 and my 99 Ranger sag to the drivers side ever so slight. I believe it is because if there is ever any extra weight (even if it is not much) on one side of the truck compared to the other it affects the wear more. Hench a driver always in the truck, a sag to the drivers side.

Quiet Lunatic 11-17-2009 07:40 AM

That was a 2003 1500. So I don't think it matters the size of the truck

Quiet Lunatic 11-18-2009 12:57 AM

Well if not shimmed, this one was bad. I just can't figure out why it is like that. Does anyone else know what could be causing it?

bones64 11-18-2009 01:15 PM

:4-dontknow: How does the underneath of the truck look? Ive seen alot of farm trucks loaded kinda funny/they are farm trucks...as long as they work nothin else much matters. Loads are put in...anyolway. Does the frame look good. Like maybe a slight twist or sag? Im guessing but have you ever followed someone thats dogtrackin. This is only a thought man. Backed into something, and the front as well right...:4-dontknow:

Quiet Lunatic 11-18-2009 08:32 PM

Yea could be, but what is dogtracked?

Quiet Lunatic 11-23-2009 11:45 AM

Okay, so I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 with 164,000 miles on her. When I got the truck, it had been used for a farm truck and I am assuming that they had loaded up the bed because it sagged pretty bad to the drivers side. It was 2 inches low on the driver's side rear and 1.5 inches low on the driver's side front. So I measured many times both sides in various places. Checked the bed mounts and they were fine. I didn't see any twist or torque in the body, but that is often hard to see. The truck had backed into something before in the past and had been slightly hit in the font as well. So first issue...could not get it aligned. Camber couldn't be aligned and the truck always ran to the right. Had it aligned (attempted) again, same issue. I then went and put all new springs and shackles in the rear. This lifted the rear almost 2 inches but the driver's side rear still sagged the same amount. The front was slightly better but still slightly off. I then took it back to the spring shop and had them shim the driver's rear leaf with a half inch shim. The truck is now only a half inch lower in the driver's rear side but almost even in the front. They re-aligned the truck and centered the stearing wheel. The camber now was much better! The truck follows the crown of the road and runs slightly to the right at times, but is much better. I am dumbfounded on how to figure out why the truck is lower on that side! Any help would be highly appreciated!
Can anyone help me out with this? The truck runs to the right very slightly as well.

SMARSH 11-23-2009 02:23 PM

Is your rear axle exactly perpendicular to the drive shaft? You may have had the big ubolts attaching the axle to the spring and frame slip.

Turboram 11-23-2009 02:58 PM

ugh has everyone overlooked a tweaked frame? or a bad front coil spring?

the frames are strong but a bump in the front is enough to push it back a lil , which would in turn push the rear back and up due to the rear end and in turn lowering the one side...

that would be the most common thing to me(ase master tech) ...

take it to a frame shop and have'm measure it out with a laser rack...doing it yourself wont get the right measurements due to the flex of the rubber cab mounts etc. ....or just drive it and live with it ...