DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Any SLR Chip Users/Feedback? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43983)

HoltFF1074 11-18-2009 01:06 AM

Any SLR Chip Users/Feedback?

Anyone familiar with the SLR Motorsports chip which has ben advertised on the site? Claimed 50+HP / 50+TQ gains and 3-5mpg improvement along with simple plug&play abilities. Sounds impressive for the price of just under 70 bucks. Everything i see so far has me about to take the plunge and give one a try. I;m just am curious if anyone has known of anyone having tried one before,or maybe have tried one themselves. While i eventually want to improve air intake and do a lil suspension tweaking also,this chip has me thinking....so any opinions out there?

chefred112 11-18-2009 11:22 AM

go with what works and is proven (superchips, diablo, sct, edge, bullydog)... the cheap ones are just that...false on numbers..

HoltFF1074 11-18-2009 08:25 PM

OOoo

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefred112 (Post 106281)
go with what works and is proven (superchips, diablo, sct, edge, bullydog)... the cheap ones are just that...false on numbers..

Thanks chefred. Well being a lil unfamiliar with many chip options thats available,i try to research any aftermarket item that i may have thoughts of buying. While i appreciate the other chip makers you quoted,i knew as much about some of those as i did about SLR. So asking a few questions was important to me plus the fact i've even asked the SLR chip makers if they could provide any feedback from others who bought & used their chips. While it's attractive to use a aftermarket chip,i'm both cautious and a tight wad! So mods are actually few & far inbetween. So maybe i;ll go back to searching for a good bargain for a hood scoop for my 07! Appreciate the input!

chefred112 11-19-2009 12:36 AM

as part of your research...ask the experienced guys..look and talk to the guys who have done light mods and medium and heavy mods...talk to the guys who have alot of track experience.. the really fast guys are also really fast on the street too... I've done a bunch to my truck and have also made a bunch of changes too the existing mods to find the optimum performance...I wouldn't follow the numbers that the mfg's put out but take that product and ask guys here or any other forum about theire experiences with it (as you did with the SLR chip):smileup:

fred...

chefred112 11-19-2009 12:41 AM

the question to you is..how modded do you want to go?...if your staying light like cai, catback exhaust..then the superchips is the best tuner out there... if your gonna do heavier mods like cam/heads/headers, then the diablo/sct tuners would work best (because of their custom tuning capabilities)...the top 2 imo is the sc an diablo because they both have way more options to choose from then the edge an bullydog...

ScatPak07 11-20-2009 12:21 AM

I would not go for a chip that cost less then a 1/3 of the price of the tuners that everyone trusts. They usually lie and get no where near the gains they say. Go with the Diablo Sport chip its hands down AWESOME haha

HoltFF1074 11-20-2009 01:22 AM

Chipping away at some ideas!

Thanks Guys,really appreciate the input/tips as this chip performance is still a new option for me when choosing to mod for performance. I don't really plan to get carried away with my 07 as it's just obvious to me that the best this engine has to be offered has yet to be let loose. While i dwell over the use of a performance chip, i feel a simple but helpful thing to do is improve air intake. So i'm also studing different different Air Intake systems that will allow me to gain while keeping within a tight budget. I would obvious like the ram air set up,though i know such a setup goes much beyond what i can really think of doing at the current time. So maybe if i find the right priced and effective air system and also do a slight cosmetic touch of finding a scoop,while continuing to look at the chip options. By looking at the names and applications of the chips you guys have shared,i may be able to find some sites for these chips to review everything from performance gain to price. Thanks Guys,i really am grateful for your help.

hemi05 11-22-2009 11:10 AM

hey. just asked the same question in a new thread. totally looked over yours. I have heard a lot about the Diablo programmer. I have the Bullydog power pup myself, and I can tell a great difference when its on or off. especially when pulling something.