DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   About to hit 100k! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44158)

jjhwick119 11-22-2009 02:15 AM

About to hit 100k!

so i when i bought the truck, i had about 65k miles on her, did regular oil changes, occasional power steering ( had a problem... ) and up until reciently i always had a shop do my oil changes, and they always checked my other fluids (or so they say)

gonna hit 100k here soon. truck runs great, but i have no previous info on any maintenence done on her. i was told by someone that im supposed to do something to clean out my tranny..a flush or something..but that shop said they wouldnt do it because i didnt have records of any work ever being done and it could break stuff loose thats stuck in there that could mess up the tranny.

anyway...im just wondering what i need to do to make sure she keeps on runnin? truck didnt come with a service manual so im clueless, and like i said, as far as i know, only oil changes were done. dealership said it was always up to date on tune ups and blah blah blah before i bought it, but u cant trust those guys so i dont know for sure if it was takin care of

jjhwick119 11-22-2009 02:18 AM

and i use royal purple oil right now, but i really hate paying that much for oil....

any suggestions? was considering going to a high mileage oil, but ive heard once u go full syn you cant do anything else

CdnoilRAM 11-22-2009 03:02 AM

They're right about doing a flush. Unless you plan on dropping the pan and doing a good clean yourself most places wont do it for that very reason. You can switch back to conventional oil, but it wouldn't make a difference. Running syn is the best thing for an engine at any mileage so long as all your gaskets are holding up.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-22-2009 10:52 AM

I personally think that the bit about servicing a trans to late in it's life is a hoax . That it could break stuff loose .The inside of a trans is spotless . Better to do it than not to do it .

jjhwick119 11-22-2009 11:57 AM

alright, well im kinda retarded when it comes to working on cars. interior doing audio, thats my thing. under the hood...im a complete newb. i just learned how to change my oil a couple hundred miles ago, and ive had the truck 2 years.

what all is involved in a flush? and im assuming i need spark plugs. how hard are those to do? anything else involved with doing those that i should check to see if they need replacing as well??

sorry, im under-the-hood-retarded

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-22-2009 12:08 PM

Trans flush ? I would drop the trans pan , install a new filter or filters , reinstall the pan and fill with fresh trans fluid . Plugs aren't to bad to do . Don't buy into the 100,000 mile plug bit . If you leave them in there that long when it comes time to replace them you have a extremely hard time removing them . They don't put antiseize on the plugs from the factory . Most of the newer engines have coil packs on them . You'll need to remove them , then you can get to the plugs . I make it standard practice on everything I tune up to put a wrap of antiseize on the threads of the new plugs .

foxcrazy90 11-22-2009 12:46 PM

i would flush the transmission its not going to hurt!!
as far as 100k she has alot of life left!!!

erm 11-22-2009 01:27 PM

Stay away from that shop. They just told you that so they didn't have to tackle the job. That's total BS.

Here's some things to consider doing:

Trans flush and new fluid,
differential fluid replacement,
PS system purge and fluid replacement,
coolant system flush and new coolant,
EGR valve replacement,
check all body mounting bolts,
O2 sensor replacement,
inspect front wheel bearings and replace as necessary,
inspect brake pads/shoes, rotors and drums,
brake system fluid replace and bleed system,
check all suspension fasteners and
generally inspect the vehicle, top to bottom.

RockyRam 11-22-2009 02:09 PM

Take a pict when you flip over!!

jjhwick119 11-24-2009 01:04 AM

bout to show just how much of a newb i am...

i have no idea where the spark plugs are, lol. thats how i little i know. any chance someone could take a pic under their hood and point me in the right direction? :)

is the transmission pan under the truck like the oil pan is? seems like thought shouldnt be too hard for me to do.

power steering and brake fluid was alrdy done after i got into a wreck and had to the get the whole front end replaced (or so they told me)