DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Greasing u joints? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44171)

bigdaddyII 11-22-2009 04:28 PM

Greasing u joints?

I dont know if my 2002 2wd came with greasable u joints, I am guessing no. If this is the case, my u joints have been changed. There are greasable ones in there ATM, I just cant grease them.

Is there a special fitting to accomplish this. The fitting on my gun is the universial one, but it is straight and it is too tall, it hits the yoke when I try to lock it onto the zerk. Anyone else run into this?

971500 11-22-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII (Post 108355)
I dont know if my 2002 2wd came with greasable u joints, I am guessing no. If this is the case, my u joints have been changed. There are greasable ones in there ATM, I just cant grease them.

Is there a special fitting to accomplish this. The fitting on my gun is the universial one, but it is straight and it is too tall, it hits the yoke when I try to lock it onto the zerk. Anyone else run into this?

you can try going to the local auto part store to see if they have an adaptor for the grease gun that would work for you

erm 11-22-2009 07:33 PM

A swivel adaptor tip is available for most grease guns...that's what I'd go for!

bigdaddyII 11-22-2009 10:31 PM

I poked around at Advance Auto, Oreillys, and Autozone. Oreillys has a 90* tip that I will try in the morning. If that dosent cut it I will let the SOBs wear out and when they are changed have angled zerks put on the new ones.

At first I thought that they were installed backwards, but the more I got to looking, the more I think that if they were installed the other way around, I would still be in a bind just in the other direction.

erm 11-22-2009 10:33 PM

You could always remove the straight ones and put in some 90's before they wear out. ;)

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-22-2009 11:14 PM

Skinny adapter . Push on to face of fitting and keep pressure applied while pumping grease . B6239 Hydraulic Push Type Adapter

bigdaddyII 11-23-2009 01:10 PM

Okayyyyy, so 90* dosent work. The front joint I can access with regular fitting. There are no rain clouds overhead so I can finally see decently. The back one appears to be installed backwards, not that I would be able to get to that one if it was installed correctly either. The front one will not take grease. It all comes out at the fitting as I am pumping. The ball in the zerk works too, swapped it out anyway and still wont take grease. I will just leave it be for the rest of it short life and buy some lifetime ones and make bank off of the replacements.