DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Best way to care for my 20" chrome? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44266)

oh4ohyeah 11-24-2009 10:59 AM

Best way to care for my 20" chrome?

I just recently bought my truck from a private party and it has the 20" chrome wheels. The first thing I noticed when I started washing the truck is slight pitting and brake dust staining around the lip edge of the wheels. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest the best way (and proper way) of getting these back to the OEM shine as much as possible. I've always been a huge fan of nice looking wheels on vehicles, but these are my first chrome ones - Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

MightyBlueRam 11-24-2009 12:39 PM

Make sure that you buy a "chrome" wheel cleaner as using the wrong wheel cleaner can make things worse. Soak the wheels with the cleaner as the label tells you and don't let it dry. Hit it with a "wheel/rim" brush, something that won't scratch the wheel but will take off the dust. You might have to repeat that step depending on how bad the dust is caked on. There's also chrome polish for wheels that will help protect the wheels and make it easier for the brake dust to come off.

The biggest thing I think is to clean your wheels frequently so that the brake dust doesn't burn into the wheel when it gets hot.

Take a look at autogeeks.net, they have a lot of videos on how to take care you truck. They sell a lot of stuff too but it's a little too expensive for my taste.

Good luck.

tjcin 11-25-2009 05:38 PM

I have used Mother's chrome wheel cleaner on my wheels. Keep in mind that if your wheels are like mine, they are an aluminum wheel with a chromed plastic insert epoxied on. They are not actually chromed metal. I did not let the Mothers sit on the wheels very long for that reason. Use gloves, it is acidic, apply it and wash it off quickly. Once I got the wheels free of brake dust, I apply a coat of "Chemical Guys Wheel Guard." This will keep the wheels real smooth, but will only help them not to accumulate dust again. If you don't mind, a clean cloth will wipe the dust right off if you don't let it get real thick. My wife is hard on the brakes with her car and when it is nice and detailed, I take a soft towel and wipe the wheels daily. Good Luck

hemi05 11-27-2009 01:28 AM

I have always used turtle wax chrome polish on mine, they're just like yours. Works great for me. And if I ever stop by a car wash for just a quick clean, I always wash my wheels with the brush and spray wax on them before I rinse.