DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Brake upgrade, so many to choose from.. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44302)

mrjlh1967 11-25-2009 01:53 AM

Brake upgrade, so many to choose from..

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 2WD regular cab with the hemi. I have 22" x 9.5" wheels, 305/45ZR22 tires. I would like to add some stopping power since I have added the extra weight of the bigger wheels and tires. I have been looking all over the internet and think I am more confused than ever (clever advertising helps, DOHHH). What is an affordable way to beef up my brakes. Will same size drilled and slotted rotors with performance pads make a huge difference or do i need to go up in size and if so does this require new calipers as well?

Any advice in this sea of info would be great. Any brands to avoid, etc... Please help.

Incognito 11-25-2009 01:59 AM

What are you looking to spend? And how do you drive your vehicle? Because you can get much better braking by using the proper brake pads and rotors. I'd recommend replacing the calipers and going with a big brake kit only if you really, really need to. Hell I haul loads on my Ram 1500 that are beyond manufacturer's specs and going up and down hills puts a lot of wear and tear on my brakes, but I simply upgraded the pads and they work like a charm. It all really depends on what you're planning to do. Slotted and/or dross drilled rotors will decrease brake fade. Brake pad compound is very critical to what you're doing, so make sure you choose the right one. I must admit that the factory brakes on our trucks are pretty damn good.

bosshog 11-25-2009 08:22 AM

mrjlh1967..im lookin at a set up like that 22x9.5 with the 305/45/22 wondering how much side wall would i have...if you would post pics of ur beast that would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrjlh1967 11-25-2009 02:09 PM

tHE 305/45vr22 IS ABOUT 5 INCHES TALLER THAN STOCK, AND THROWS OFF THE SPEEDOMETER 4MPH AT 70 MH (READS 70 BUT IS ACTUALLY GOING 74MPH). i WILL TRY TO POST SOME PICKS IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS. I HAVE A NEW LAPTOP AND STLL TRYING TO RECOVER STUFF OFF MY OLD ONE.

i DO NOT DRIVE MY TRUCK HARD at all. Just here and there, I am thinking like you suggested, bleed the brakes, replace rubber lines with stainless steel lines, cross drilled and vented rotors and some performance pads. Hopeing to get out for under $600.

Now, which brand and specifically which rotors do i need?

JCann123 11-25-2009 04:12 PM

i got the cross slots and drilled rotors, they work great for me, just get good pads for them.

erm 11-25-2009 08:40 PM

I'd try a pad upgrade first before you go all the way with rotors and calipers.

One other significant improvement you can make is to swap out the stock rubber brake lines to the caliper for a set of braided stainless steel lines.

If you decide to go to a cross drilled or slotted rotor or do a big brake kit ( I did this on a 2003 Yukon after lowering it and putting on 20's), SSBC and Baer make some great kits. I went with the Baer kit and it worked fantastic.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-25-2009 09:11 PM

Drilled /slotted rotors . Good quality brake pad . And agree with Mike on the steel braided brake hoses . If you don't have 4 wheel disc , might want to look into aftermarket rear disc brake conversion kit .

erm 11-25-2009 09:14 PM

Oh yeah...forgot some trucks don't have 4 wheel discs. That upgrade will make a big difference as well.

CdnoilRAM 11-25-2009 09:19 PM

If you're looking at a $600 budget then I have a great set up for you. Have it on mine, and they make a world of difference. I have the EBC dimpled and slotted sports rotors ( better than cross-drilled as there's no cracking issues) coupled with EBC green stuff pads. I use the stock calipers as they put out enough pressure to stop the QC really well. I haven't done the braided brake lines, but I plan on it when I do new rims this spring. A full 4-disk brake setup cost me ~$650 for 4 rotors and pads, had a mechanic friend do the install. The EBC pads a super quiet and little to no break dust.

Incognito 11-26-2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 110177)
If you're looking at a $600 budget then I have a great set up for you. Have it on mine, and they make a world of difference. I have the EBC dimpled and slotted sports rotors ( better than cross-drilled as there's no cracking issues) coupled with EBC green stuff pads. I use the stock calipers as they put out enough pressure to stop the QC really well. I haven't done the braided brake lines, but I plan on it when I do new rims this spring. A full 4-disk brake setup cost me ~$650 for 4 rotors and pads, had a mechanic friend do the install. The EBC pads a super quiet and little to no break dust.

Good to see you went with the EBC pads. They have some kick arse products. I'd like to move up to them on my Ram 1500 eventually. I'm going to throw on some slotted rotors as well, probably go with Brembos though. The stainless lines are fantastic for decreasing brake fade and keeping a nice firm pedal. $600 for the whole package is cheap! Damn!

Baer and SSBC are probably the top two aftermarket brake manufacturers, possibly surpassing Brembo. But they're costly, I seen an SSBC package for the GMT900 that cost well over $4000.