DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Which one is better?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44426)

hemi05 11-29-2009 12:37 AM

Which one is better??

I was looking at wax today and couldn't decide b/w liquid and paste wax. They both read the same and seem to be basically the same thing. Which do you guys' like better?

hemi05 11-29-2009 12:47 AM

Also, another question I have is: My truck's paint job is in pretty good shape. It still shines like new when you wash it. Though it does have a few very fine scratches and swirls, but it's hard to keep one perfect driving to work. But anyways, should I do any other steps before I wax it, or will just a good wash and dry do??

RamTech 11-29-2009 01:54 AM

I prefer a liquid because its easier to apply and remove, but I think a paste tends to stay on longer. If you haven't waxed it in a while and the paint feels a bit gritty, you might want to use a very fine polishing compound to remove contaminants before waxing.

CdnoilRAM 11-29-2009 03:03 AM

I find paste nice to apply, just scoop it out with the cloth. I use liquid wax if i'm applying it with my power applicator.

CajunDodge 11-29-2009 07:45 AM

I prefer the liquid wax, also, to the paste, just for ease of application, (probably would be easier if I had a power applicator), but I do have to agree with Remerson228, my experience with both is the paste does tend to have a more lasting result.

- Cajun :pepper:

Leadfootluke 11-30-2009 11:40 PM

Since I emerged into the world of detailing I have learned a TON.

One note is that your wax, $5 can of turtle wax or a $500 can of zymol, will both suck if you don't prep the surface properly. If you don't want to correct the paint [such as remove swirls and scratches] it would greatly benefit you to clay bar the paint. A well clayed paint provides a clean surface for the wax to bond with.

As far as paste or liquid? That is up to you. Depends on if you are applying by machine or hand, one may be easier than the other. I have a Collinite Paste and Liquid wax and both go on effortlessly and will last 6 months a piece. SOME waxes will bring out darks better than others, some will protect a little better than others too. There are actual variables, but whatever you choose it will work fine if you prep the surface adequately :)

BlueJet 11-30-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 111327)
I prefer a liquid because its easier to apply and remove, but I think a paste tends to stay on longer. If you haven't waxed it in a while and the paint feels a bit gritty, you might want to use a very fine polishing compound to remove contaminants before waxing.

I would say a clay bar would be better. Polishing compound will scratch the paint. That grit is fall out and a clay bar will pick that right up.

erm 12-01-2009 12:23 AM

Certainly clay bar it to remove surface contaminants. If you want to remove swirls and light surface scratches from the clearcoat, a cut-buff-wax-polish would be the next steps to a great looking finish.

MightyBlueRam 12-01-2009 01:44 AM

I've been looking on www.autogeek.net for info on detailing. They have a lot of videos and guides on everything about detailing a car. Also if you check most of the wax maker's websites like maguier's, they have videos also.

bones64 12-01-2009 09:58 AM

:smileup:I use theMeguires paste wax for clear coat. Easy to use no hard work at it. Literally wax on wax off.:smileup: