How-To: Installing Power Tailgate Lock
How to install Mopar Power Tailgate Lock Actuator (P/N 82211668-AB) on your 2009 Dodge RAM 1500
1. Disconnect Negative battery cable
2. Remove access cover on tailgate (8 T25 Torx).
3. Disconnect the actuator rods at the handle.
4. Remove the 2 nuts (5/16” socket) while holding the handle. (handle may fall out if you don’t hold it)
5. Remove actuator and Handle from tailgate.
6. Remove the 2 bolts (5/16” socket) holding the lock cylinder and remove cylinder
7. Drill 2 5/32” holes in the corners at location shown
8. Rivet the small bracket with the supplied rivets’ as shown.
9. Mount the power lock actuator to the supplied bracket with the supplied T20 Torx bolts.
10. Now for the tricky part. Put the lock cylinder in the handle but do not bolt it in. insert the power lock actuator rod into the bracket that was riveted on the lock actuator arm. Then insert then handle into the tail gate and then the power actuator/actuator . Note that the power lock actuator bracket will go over the lock cylinder and one of the studs in the handle.
11. Loosely put the 2 nuts that hold the handle to the actuator.
12. Install the 2 bolts that hold the lock cylinder .
13. Tighten the 2 nuts holding the handle and re-attach the actuator rods.
14. Plug the actuator (tailgate) harness into the actuator and clip it inside the tailgate. See instructions for the 2 locations as the flash is broken on my camera. LOL
15. Connect the jumper harness to the tailgate harness. Route the harness from the rear to the driver’s side fender and to the TIPM. I secured mine near the receiver so I have easy access to unplug it if I need to remove the tail gate. I routed the harness along the frame keeping it away from exhaust and suspension components. Tie-wrapped it pretty much the whole way to the brake lines.
16. Remove cover TIPM. Remove the B+ terminal nut (green arrow) from the TIPM and remove the B+ cable. Release the 5 tabs holding the TIPM to the battery tray, lift it out and turn upside down.
18. Remove the connector C5 (Letter E) pulling straight out. Then remove the black cover.
19. Cut the jumper harness to length leaving enough to go below the TIPM when its reinstalled.
20. Find the Tan/Light Blue (cavity 18) and Tan/Dark Blue (Cavity 22) wires and cut them about half way between the plug and where they enter the harness.
21. There are connectors supplied with the kit but I did not use them as I don’t have the proper crimp tool for the clips. I stripped all the wires, then Tinned all the wires. Place a 1.25” strip of shrink tube over one of the TN/LB wires & solder the TN/LB wires back together along with the Red wire from Jumper Harness. Place a 1.25” strip of shrink tube over one of the TN/DB wires & solder the TN/DB wires back together along with the Black wire from Jumper Harness. Instructions say White/Pink & Black/Dark Blue for the jumper harness but the wires in my kit were red & black.
22. Slide the shrink tube over the soldered parts and temporarily plug the C5 connector back in, install the B+ cable and nut and connect the negative battery cable. Lock/Unlock the vehicle to verify the wires are connected correctly. (if not, reverse the Red, black wires.
23. Disconnect negative battery cable, B+ nut and cable, disconnect the C5 plug again.. Heat the shrink tube until you see the glue coming out.
24. Reinstall the black cover for the C5 connector and plug it back it in.
25. Reinstall TIPM, B+ Cable/Nut, tailgate access cover and negative battery cable.
26. Remove tailgate key from Keychain and enjoy :smileup:
Thanks for the how to install . Now the big question , Does it work ? Rep for that .
So does the tailgate lock/unlock each time you lock/unlock the doors or did the kit come with a remote mod to add another button function to your remote?
Great write-up/documentation, by the way!
Awesome How-to! Rep for that!
It works great!! Basically it uses your normal remote and is wired to the lock/unlock wires for your doors. every time I lock/unlock with remote, it will lock/unlock.
I have mine set up to unlock all doors with one press. so it unlocks when I press unlock on the remote. Tomorrow I will change it to unlock the driver door on first press and the other doors on the second press and post if it unlock on the first or second press.
I will also try lock and unlock with the switch on the doors and see if it lock/unlock that way as well.
Cool feature . Didn't know that was available .
Saw this on ebay/great accessory.great job
That is a great write-up and awesome pictures. Thanks for the posting! :smileup:
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger