DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   2009 Leather seats worn out in six months (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44696)

jfroese 12-06-2009 10:27 AM

2009 Leather seats worn out in six months

the drivers seat in my 09 laramie shows excessive wear after only 6months. it has the ventilated bucket seats and in the seating area it has wrinkled in several areas and a crack has started in one spot. the passenger seat shows some wear, its getting a little loose and i suspect it will do the same thing over time.
i took it to the dealer and they are going to have it repaired or replaced under warrantee. the manager wasnt surprised when he saw it so i suspect it is a known problem to dodge.
am wondering if the new seat cover is a better material or am i going to have to get this done every 6 months
anybody else have this problem??

RamTech 12-06-2009 10:34 AM

This is a known issue but Chrysler has not yet released any bullitens other than one that directs technicians to contact Chrysler before replacing the covers.

jfroese 12-06-2009 10:51 AM

thanks for the quick reply
they're having me take the truck to a upholstry shop for a quote , the shop will replace the ventilated piece only, and if the quote is more than 70% of replacement cost they will order a factory seat cover. i'm hoping the shop has better material than factory because a factory part will only fail again.

hemi05 12-08-2009 11:34 AM

I have an 05 laramie. this is the whole reason that i never liked leather seats, but i've had mine for over a year and shows no sign of wear/tear. clean them up and they look like new. don't know what diff in material is. first i've heard of this prob.

Excoastie 12-08-2009 03:20 PM

I've go the dealer added leather in my '08. I had a similar problem with the seat covers... was showing heavy wear along the edge of the seat on both the driver's and passenger's side.

I brought it in, they ordered me new covers (they get 'em from somewhere in California.. go figure). about a week later I brought the truck in, and presto new seat covers...

I've tried to be pretty good about the upkeep on 'em, but I do miss a week or two here and there.... Stealership didn't give me any grief...

Exco

08CHALLENGER 12-08-2009 03:40 PM

I've got just under 12k on my 09' and seats still look new. ?? Strange. Hopefully they get that took care of for you no problem.

rammy420 12-08-2009 05:51 PM

if it happens again after they fix it go to www.leatherseats.com. i went to them when the leather in my tahoe was falling apart and they quality of their product was a 1000 time better than the oem crap and they'll make it anyway you want lots of different options to choose from.also most people dont realize that their leather seats are only 50% leather and 50% vinyl unless you're rollin an 80grand+ vehicle and its usually the vinyl that wears out first.you also said the leather was starting to wrinkle and a crack has started, im curious what cleaners are you using on your seats as most cleaners will dry the leather out and it will start to wrinkle and crack especially perferated leather as the cleaner can get through the little holes .use only leather conditioner but still your seats should not have started wearing out that fast. do you have any pics??would like to see what your seat looks like

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-08-2009 05:55 PM

Sounds like they know theres a problem and that their gonna make good on it .

jfroese 12-09-2009 08:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
heres a couple of pics Ive only cleaned them a couple of times and thats using Armour all leather conditioner, i think theres a cleaner in it too. Not sure why its happened - could be just a poor grade leather dodge knows about the problem and maybe the replacements are a better material. will find out friday what theyre going to do.

Attachment 2975

Attachment 2976

RamTech 12-09-2009 08:52 PM

The issue seems to only be with the heated/cooled seats from what I've heard thus far. Anyone having problems with leather seats that don't have the heating/cooling option?