DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   ebay cai (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44758)

Bearwhiz 12-07-2009 05:29 PM

ebay cai

I see where many of you say not to buy the inexpensive cai on ebay but a lot of you say its ok but put a different filter on it. I found some on ebay that are from the same company but come with a K&N filter. What do you think?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-07-2009 05:48 PM

I say go for it . As inexpensive as it is , if you don't like it you can sell it and get your money back plus put some in your pocket . Theres nothing wrong with them . All their doing is filtering the air .

08CHALLENGER 12-07-2009 06:06 PM

I looked at the same ones for mine and have heard they are junk........As the saying goes you get what you pay for. Spend some more for a reputable system and you will be very pleased.

chefred112 12-08-2009 10:43 PM

I did an ebay one for awhile before I could afford my BFI...it worked really well, switched out the filter to a Amsoil dryflow..

rebel2thegrave 12-10-2009 11:06 AM

Three words to saving money; DO IT YOURSELF!

CHILLZ HEMI 12-12-2009 08:06 AM

Yeah, and you can see in that pic that the CAI has three major curves in the piping, which is totally restricting airflow, and not really doing too much as far as gaining power...Compare the structure of the ebay CAIs, and the structure of a CAI like BFI, or AEM and K&N, and you can see the difference of why ebay CAIs are so cheap with little gains, and why the more reputable companies have more gains even though they are more expensive...

Incognito 12-12-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08CHALLENGER (Post 115557)
I looked at the same ones for mine and have heard they are junk........As the saying goes you get what you pay for. Spend some more for a reputable system and you will be very pleased.

There are two sides to this. Quality or lower cost. If you want lower cost, then by all means build one yourself. Why waste money by purchasing a cheap kit that someone else put together? You may as well do it yourself if you're on a limited budget. Quality costs more. If you want something that without a doubt has proven performance gains, meets/exceeds OEM specs and has a high standard of quality from a reputable company, then you need to spend more. It's the same thing I explain to my customers. You want a cheap roof? Hire some hack roofing crew and pay them cash. Sure you'll get a new roof. But it'll only last about 6 months. You contract me to do your roof, you get new roof that'll last 50+ years with a 20 year labour warranty. And I have over 500 real references to back it up. The difference in price? Simple. You gotta take out a loan to hire me. But in the end you get what you pay for.

bones64 12-12-2009 07:30 PM

:smileup: If it comes with a K&N filter then go for it. Your getting a good quality filter. Besides after the filter its what ...just a tube?:smileup:

CHILLZ HEMI 12-12-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones64 (Post 118194)
:smileup: Besides after the filter its what ...just a tube?:smileup:

You could say the same for the OEM intake in that case, and not even waste the money on a CAI....

ScatPak07 12-12-2009 09:39 PM

I think price dosnt matter, its the design of the CAI. A good filter with some heat reflecting tubing would good try for less restriction as possible