DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Exaust questions, ect.. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44759)

ape stit 12-07-2009 07:02 PM

Exaust questions, ect..

I have been reading different posts and havnt found what im looking for
I have a flowmaster on my 2004 hemi quad 4x4,
At highway speeds and low rpm cruise through town, its friggin loud in the interior, it sounds like there are sub-woofers constantly going off, (no thump, just constant) and I hate it. I bought it this way. is this what is to reffered to as drone. Also, will the Borla XR-1 get rid of this? if not what do you suggest.

Anybody know of a performance programmer that has a trans temp gauge on it that isnt a crappy programmer.

I really appreciate your help.

hemi05 12-08-2009 02:06 AM

I have a flowmaster super 44 on my hemi. same thing. I guess I've just gotten used to it. Don't know much about a Borla, but I can't see any kind of aftermarket exhaust being very quiet in the cab, just some quieter than others.

erm 12-08-2009 08:51 AM

Known problem with aftermarket exhausts on a HEMI with MDS. Seems to me Flowmaster is one of the worst as they start out loud. You'll get resonance (drone) with almost any aftermarket exhaust but most have resonators as part of their system.

You can eliminate the problem by adding a small resonator to the tailpipe (basically, a second small muffler) to reduce the drone.

I have not heard that Borla exhaust but if it has a resonator on it, it will be better than the Flowmaster.

As far as a programmer with a trans temp gauge, check out the Edge products. They have multi-screen displays and I believe that is one of the options. It will require some wiring and installation of a sensor to get the reading.

RamTech 12-08-2009 08:56 AM

I'm a fan of Borla myself. The MDS isn't an issue in this particular truck since the 2004 models didn't have it.

erm 12-08-2009 09:01 AM

O RLY??? I wondered when they started.

Yer right...even without MDS you'll get drone. My '99 5.2L doesn't have MDS but I get a bit of a drone at around 2500 to 2800 RPM and then it's gone. That's with a Magnaflow single in/dual out muffler.

It'll sound different once I've done all my mods. :)

RamTech 12-08-2009 09:04 AM

MDS was first installed in the Rams in '06. The latest generation Eagle engine has MDS and VCT.

ape stit 12-08-2009 09:40 AM

so drone is what I am hearing, that loud humming at lower rpm with torqe?

hemi05 12-08-2009 11:05 AM

yes. that is drone. if you don't like the sound at all, you can take it to a custom exhaust shop and they can run you an exhaust, more or less a factory exhaust, to quieten it back down.

ape stit 12-08-2009 11:16 AM

thanks fellas, i appreciate the help

StevoSRT 12-08-2009 11:31 AM

this is why i got flowmasters in the first place! LOL

in my car you cant even have a conversation with the person sitting next to you I LOVE IT! LOL!

You can also get the sound matt stuff (forget the name) which will eliminate quite a bit of road noise as well as some of the drone....that stuff is pretty cool...not that cheap though if i remember....