DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Rubbing/Grinding Noise During 4WD (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44799)

Ramboi92 12-08-2009 06:33 PM

Rubbing/Grinding Noise During 4WD
 
Everytime I have my 4WD on (hi or low), when I speed up I hear this loud rumbling noise, like something is rubbing or grinding. It gets louder, the faster I go, and stops as soon as I let off the gas. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

RamTech 12-08-2009 07:45 PM

Which transfer case do you have?

drtnshtr 01-07-2010 04:45 PM

somebody please answer this I have the exact same issue:att:

RamTech 01-07-2010 07:05 PM

Slack in the chain would be my first guess.

bones64 01-07-2010 07:09 PM

:thk: Is the noise coming from the transfer case exactly or could it be the rear end? Took a Ram out before i bought the one i did and the same sort of noise was there. It ended up being bearings i believe in the rear end. ?

drtnshtr 01-07-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones64 (Post 131782)
:thk: Is the noise coming from the transfer case exactly or could it be the rear end? Took a Ram out before i bought the one i did and the same sort of noise was there. It ended up being bearings i believe in the rear end. ?

its definitley coming from the front on my truck and it only does it in 4 wheel drive.

RamTech 01-07-2010 11:24 PM

Have you checked the u-joints on the front drive shaft and the axle joints at the hubs? Check the yoke on the front diff for any vertical movement or excessive backlash.

drtnshtr 01-08-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 131971)
Have you checked the u-joints on the front drive shaft and the axle joints at the hubs? Check the yoke on the front diff for any vertical movement or excessive backlash.

I havent checked them yet but I hacve been told before thats what it probably is. Should I just put them up in the air and check for slop?

RamTech 01-08-2010 10:13 AM

The u joints may not be loose but could still be bad. I'd take the shaft out and check for looseness or excessive tightness that would indicate that the grease in the caps has dried out. you should be able to check the axles by moving them around by hand. When you get the front end in the air, grab the wheels and check for bearing looseness vertically and horizontally. Take off the front wheels and check the axle nuts for looseness.

maniac 01-09-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 132082)
The u joints may not be loose but could still be bad. I'd take the shaft out and check for looseness or excessive tightness that would indicate that the grease in the caps has dried out. you should be able to check the axles by moving them around by hand. When you get the front end in the air, grab the wheels and check for bearing looseness vertically and horizontally. Take off the front wheels and check the axle nuts for looseness.

I had the same grinding-popping sound only in 4. went away when i let of accelerator. I changed the u joints and yoke in the front shaft. the yoke was dried out and the needle bearrings were ground into dust. not a single noise after new yoke and u joints. easy fix. :smileup:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger